His Lucky Charm

this story has been here FOREVER and I FINALLY finished it. XD enjoy. Its suppose to kind of be like the Sandlot, you know, not based in this time. 

_____________________________

His Lucky Charm

It started in the summertime.

We’ve all been playing baseball every since we could walk, but last summer is when it all started.

I remember it as clear as day. We were all in the old abandoned baseball field, practicing for our first up coming game. We were all excited because it was our first game of the summer, and in the middle of practice, a girl came.

We all stopped what we were doing, and the talking silenced. All eyes were on her. Slowly and gracefully, she and her cropped dress sat down on the cool metal bleachers. The bleachers were on the side of the middle of the field, so she wasn’t very close so that we could see her face.

Tommy slowly inched towards me while chewing his gum thoroughly. “Who you think she is, Eli?” He stage whispered over to me, not sure if he should break the silence.

I shook my head, “Just a girl who came to watch, I guess.” I changed my voice to a shout. “Back to the game people!”

And watch is just what she did.

Ever since then, she would come to every game, every practice, and just watch. Never clap, never express emotion, never move. When practice started, she would sit. When it ended, she would leave. But we never did catch a glimpse of her face, so we don’t know who she is.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Grabbing my musky baseball cap, I grasp the doorknob to freedom with the tips of my fingers. “Goin’ to the game, ma!” Not giving her time to answer, I jog out into the sunlight, fixing my cap. My uniform is slightly dirty from the last time I wore it, grass stains here and there. But it’s just a uniform. I can wash it after the game. My team members would-and still-make fun of me for wearing it everyday to a big game. But I always tell them the same thing, “This was my dad’s before he died. Every time I wear it, I feel lucky.” I guess you could call it my lucky charm.

I jog my everyday route to the field. I climb over the metal wire jungle gym of a fence, towards the field. I step over the six large weeds I’ve counted over the years, swing past a tree, turn left, and then right. I finally find the other small fence with the hole in the bottom right corner. I crawl into it, and onto the field.

“WHO’S READY FOR SOME BALL?”

Whoops and cheers are followed by my question, making me burst into a smile. The cap on my head blocks the sunlight out of my eyes, but I still have to squint to see.

Richie, the chubby one on the team, waddles over to me. “We going to kick some fat McRooster ass or what?”