- 23 | R E U N I O N W I T H F R I E N D S

I sat on Thorin, who was miraculously still alive, and followed Aragorn through the woods.

Théoden, Gamling, Gandalf, Éomer, Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and I were on out way to Isengard, while Éowyn and the other soldiers lead the women and children back to Edoras.

When we finally rode out of the woods, I saw two familiar Hobbits sitting on a low wall.

"Welcome, my lords and lady," Merry said winking to me, "to Isengard!"

I dismounted my horse and ran towards the Hobbits. They sprang of the wall and jumped into my open arms. I laughed and hugged them tight. "I was so worried about you."

They laughed. "We had everything under control." I shook my head, letting them go. "I bet you did."

"You young rascals!" Gimli exclaimed, "A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and smoking."

"We are sitting on a field of victory." He defended, "enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork?" Gimli repeated, suddenly interested.

Gandalf shook his head and murmured something about Hobbits while Aragorn just smiled.

Pippin sat behind Gandalf while Merry sat behind me.

"We're under order from Treebeard, who's taken over management of Isengard." Merry told us while we rode further.

A giant Ent strode towards us, alarming us all but Gandalf.

"Huraroom," He began speaking with a deep voice, "Young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone, I can master but there's a wizard to be managed here.... Locked in his tower."

Aragorn looked up at the tower. "Show yourself," he whispered.

"Be careful," Gandalf warned him, "even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous."

"Let's just have his head and be done with it," I heard Gimli muttered.

"No," Gandalf disagreed, "we need him alive. We need him to talk."

I looked up at the black tower, it didn't looked cosy and I was happy I knew I had a home in Bag End. Or not, I thought, if Aragorn accept the crown, I have to accept my duty as crown princess and I am bound to Gondor.

Thinking about that made me feel uneasy. I didn't want to stay on one place. I want to see all of Middle Earth! I shook my head, first we save it, then I can explore.

"You have fought many wars and slain many me, Théoden king and made peace afterwards," a voice from the tower began. I looked up and saw Sarum standing on the highest balcony. Not far behind I recognized Grima. "Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?"

"We shall have peace," Théoden started, "We shall have peace when you answer of the burning of the Westfold and the children that lay dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crowns we shall have peace!"

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard!" Saruman replied, "What do you want, Gandalf Grahame? Let me guess, the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys of Barad Dûr itself? Along with the crowns of the Seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!"

"Your treachery has already cost many lives," Gandalf argued, "Thousand more are now at risk. But you could save them, Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel."

"So you have come here for information," Saruman stated while taking his palantir, "I have some from you." He looked in it and continued. "Something festers in the heart of Middle Earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the Great Eye has seen it! Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon."

He then looked down at us. "You're all going to die! But you know this, don't you, Gandalf? You cannot thing that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor. This excite, crept from the shadows will never be crowned king."

Okay, that's it. In a second, Saruman had an arrow pointed at him. Long live the speed of Elves.

"Gwen," Gandalf warned and I reluctantly lowered my bow, giving him an annoyed look. They can say about me what they want but don't touch the one's I love.

"Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those who are closest to him, those he professes to love! Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the halfling before you sent him to his doom. The path that you have set him on can only lead to death." Saruman said, ignoring me.

I immediately pointed my arrow back on him, ignoring everyone else.

"I've heard enough," Gimli exclaimed angrily, "Shoot him!" He ordered Legolas and I, "Stick an arrow in his gob!"

I was just about to release my arrow when Gandalf stopped us, again.

"No! Come down, Saruman and your life will be spared!"

"Save your pity and your mercy!" Saruman replied angrily, "I have no use for it!"

He directed a bolt of fire towards Gandalf which he survived with no ill effects.

"Saruman... your staff is broken!" Gandalf stayed.

Saruman's staff bursted asunder and a smiled appeared on my face. It's about damn time.

Théoden's eyes fell now on Grima. "Grima!" He called out. "You need not follow him! You were not always as you are now. You were once a man of Rohan. Come down."

Grima looked as if he was going to come down.

"A man of Rohan?" Saruman mocked. "What is the house of Rohan but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll on the floor with the dogs? The victory of Helm's Deep does not belong to you Théoden Horse Master. You are a lesser son of greater sires!"

"Grima!" Théoden replies, ignoring Saruman. "Come down! Be free of him!"

"Free?" Saruman laughed. "He will never be free!"

Grima looked disgustingly at Saruman. "No!"

Saruman turned around to Grima and slapped him on the ground. "Get down cur!"

"Ah!"

"Saruman!" Gandalf yelled. "You were deep in the enemy's counsel. Tell us what you know!"

Saruman turned to face Gandalf and Grima pulled out a knife behind Saruman.

"You withdraw your guard and I will tell you where your doom will be decided. I will not be held prisoner here!" Saruman replied.

Grime rose up behind Saruman and attacked him with his knife, stabbing him twice in the back. I pulled back my bowstring and aimed at his head. I led go together with Legolas, who had aimed at his heart, and Grima fell down, dead. Saruman fell from the tower and was impaled on a great wheel below.

"Send word to all our allies and to every corner of Middle Earth that still stand free. The enemy moves against us. We need to know where he will strike." Gandalf commanded.

The water wheel turned and Saruman disappeared beneath the water, head first. The palantir dropped from his hand into the water.

"The filth of Saruman is washing away.... Trees will come back to live here, young trees.... wild trees." Treebeard said while Pippin jumped of Aragorn's horse and made his way towards the palantir.

"Pippin!" Aragorn called.

Pippin ignored Aragorn and looked into the palantir. It held his gaze for a minute.

"Bless my bark!" Treebeard exclaimed.

"Peregrin Took," Gandalf said, "I'll take that my lad! Quickly now!"

Pippin handed the palantir over to Gandalf and he wrapped it up. He looked sheepishly at Gandalf and watched him intently as he turns away.

Aragorn pulled Pippin onto the horse and we shared a worried look.

I hope Pippin leaves the damn palantir alone.