- 10 | B A L R O G

C H A P T E R T E N
Balrog

___

We were snatched from our moment when we heard the snarls and pounding feet of orcs outside the chamber.

They couldn't just give us a break, could they?

"To the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm!" Gandalf shouted. We followed the wizard out of the chamber and back into the main hall. We ran as fast as we could, being chased by hundreds of orcs, but soon found ourselves surrounded by them. The formed a circle around us, hissing and snarling. I unsheathed my sword when the orcs suddenly froze. Fear filled the ugly beasts' faces and they fled, scattering in every direction. This shocked me. I didn't know that orcs were capable of feeling fear.

"What is this new delivery?" Boromir asked, raising his sword.

"A Balrog," Gandalf replied, a little more pale than usual, "a demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond all of you. Run, quickly!"

We ran towards a staircase, Boromir taking the lead. He ran of the stairs and didn't saw the little gap on time. He lost his balance but Legolas quickly caught his shirt and pulled him back. Boromir gave him a nod of thanks and began descending the stairs once more. Aragorn and Gandalf were in the rear of the group.

"Gandalf," I heard Aragorn begin.

"Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near." Gandalf interrupted. Aragorn hesitated and Gandalf shoved him forward. "Do as I say! Swords are no more use here."

We came to a bigger gap in the stairs then the one before. Legolas jumped across easily. He looked at me. "You can do it Gwen." I nodded and decided to trust on my abilities as a half elf and jumped. I got there easily but Legolas caught me anyway. He smiled and let me go.

"Gandalf," he called, motioning for the wizard to go next. When Gandalf landed safely on our side, Boromir picked up Merry and Pippin. He jumped and landed next to me. I steadied him and he smiled in thanks. Aragorn picked up Sam and tossed him towards us. I grabbed him and put him down safely. He then turned to Gimli, intending to do the same. However, the dwarf's raised hand stopped him.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf."

Gimli leaped across the gap, barely making it. Legolas leaned forward, grabbing the dwarf's beard.

"Not the beard!" The dwarf exclaimed as the elf pulled him to safety.

My heart stopped when the ground beneath Aragorn and Frodo began to crumble. Aragorn remained calm and told Frodo to lean forward. The eroding chunk of rock fell towards us. The two crashed into Legolas, Boromir and I and we caught them.

We ran once more down the staircase until they reached the bottom of the staircase out onto the bridge.

"Over the bridge! Fly!" Gandalf commanded, stopping halfway to face the Balrog. I stopped and turned around when I noticed Gandalf wasn't with us anymore.

It was then that I knew how a Balrog looked like. It was huge, made of fire and shadow. It had two long long horns sticking out of its head and large bat wings on its back. The Balrog's eyes were flaming red that could suck out your soul. It was terrifying but I couldn't let Gandalf face it alone.

Gandalf noticed I had stopped and looked at me with anger and horror.

"What in Earth do you think you're doing? Go back to the others!" The wizard shouted.

"I'm not leaving you alone!" I shouted back. Before Gandalf could reply, the Balrog had come too close to back up.

"You cannot pass!" Gandalf exclaimed, raising his staff at the demon.

"Gandalf! Gwen!" Frodo yelled. I glanced shortly over my shoulder and saw that the others had made it safely to the other side of the bridge and were watching the spectacle with eyes wide-eyed with horror.

"What the hell is she doing?" Boromir questioned, alarmed by my actions.

"She's trying to help Gandalf," I heard Aragorn whisper.

I kneeled and put my hand on the ground. I closed my eyes and tried to lift up some rocks to throw them towards the Balrog. I heard its screams and immediately knew it had worked.

Gandalf brandished his staff, a blindingly bright light emitting from it.

"I am the servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! The dark will not avail you, Flame of Undûn!" The grey wizard shouted. The Balrog roared in response and swung his sword towards Gandalf. The wizard parried the strike with his sword, Glamdring, and the Balrog's sword shattered.

Gandalf raised his staff and sword for the last time.

"You shall not pass!" The grey wizard exclaimed and he brought his sword and staff down the bridge. A crack formed in the rock and made its way towards the Balrog. The rocks collapsed and the Balrog fell into the deep. Gandalf leaned exhausted on his staff and stepped closer to him. We exchanged a glance and headed back to the Fellowship just when the Balrog's whip came swinging from the depths. It wrapped around the wizards ankle and dragged him over the edge of the bridge.

"Gandalf!" Frodo shouted.

"Gwen!" Aragorn and Legolas yelled.

I dived and grabbed his hand. However, the combined weight of the wizard and Balrog pulled me over the edge. I dangled, one hand trying to hold onto the bridge and one hand holding Gandalf. My arm began shocking from exhausting.

"Gwen, I need you to let me go." Gandalf said.

"What? No!" I exclaimed, trying to get a better grip. "I've got this, don't worry!"

Gandalf looked meaningful at me and before I knew it, he let go of my hand.

"No!" I shouted, looking down.

I shook my head and looked back up. I started pulling me up. As soon as the Fellowship saw that I was still alive, they came running towards me, helping me up.

"Gandalf?" Aragorn asked. I shook my head and dragged everyone outside.

"He didn't make it," I replied, kneeling. Legolas kneeled down next to me and put his arms around me. "It wasn't your fault."

I pulled back and looked him in the eyes.

"It was, I should've know what he was going to do. I should've used my powers."

I stood back up and tried to hold back my tears. On moments like this I must be strong for Frodo.

Where was Frodo?

I looked around, looking for him. I saw him walking further. I ran after him and stopped him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I can't allow anyone else to die for me," he replied.

I kneeled, looking him in the eyes.

"He didn't died for you, he died for this course. To protect Middle-Earth against the greatest evil there ever is."

I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Please Frodo, don't leave me behind."

He looked into my eyes and nodded. I leaded him back to the others.

Aragorn stopped me. "Are you alright?"

I just nodded.

"We should go," I said, "I want as much distance between us and this when the night falls."

He nodded and the Fellowship followed him.

I didn't say anything, I just wondered if Gandalf's sacrifice was necessary.

What if we didn't make it after all?