- 20 | U N E X P E C T E D A L L Y

Gimli made his way over to Aragorn. "Where is he? I'm going to kill him!" He hugged Aragorn. "Bless you, laddie."

My legs were already moving towards Aragorn and he caught me. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I love you," I whispered. "Don't ever leave me again or I will bring you back from death to kill you myself."

He chuckled. "I love you too, sweetheart."

He let me go and I took off his necklace. "I think this belongs to you." He smiled at me, gave me a peck on the cheek and went looking for the king.

I followed him and he ended up pushing the door open very dramatically if I may say.

The king looked shocked at least at Aragorn's arrival.

"A great host, you say?" King Théoden repeated. Aragorn nodded. "All Isengard is emptied." I shuffled my feet, quite nervous actually, this would be my first real battle.

"How many?" Théoden asked.

"Ten thousand strong at least," Aragorn replied.

"Ten thousand?!" Théoden exclaimed.

"It's an army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of men. They will be here by nightfall."

"Let them come!" Théoden shouted and he walked away towards Gamling.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall."

Gamling nodded and took off. We followed Théoden towards the gate of Helm's Deep.

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above," Théoden commanded, "No army has ever breeched the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg."

"This is no rabble of mindless orcs. These are Uruk-Hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad," Gimli exclaimed.

Théoden gritted his teeth. "I have fought many wars, master Dwarf, I know how to defend my own keep."

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes. Does he?

"They will break upon this fortress like water on a rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn, we've seen it before. Crops can be resown; homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them." Théoden continued.

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's corps or villages," Aragorn argued, "They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child."

Théoden drew closer to Aragorn, almost desperate. "What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an and as to be worthy of remembrance."

"Send our riders, my lord. You must send for aid!" Aragorn replied.

"And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead." Théoden said.

"Gondor will answer," Aragorn insisted.

"Gondor?" Théoden repeated like it was a joke, "Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us? Where was Gon... no, my lord Aragorn, we are alone."

Théoden walked away, giving orders.

"Get the women and children into the caves!"

I looked at Aragorn. "Would it be helpful if I tried to use my powers?"

"It would," he admitted, "but I'm not sure if you're ready."

"I'll try," I replied. "That's the best I can offer you."

He smiled and nodded. "That's more then enough."

"Then I'm going to practice some more," I told him and I turned away to look for a quiet spot. I ended up on the roof of the armory and I sat. I meditated and breathed deep in and out. I looked for something I could float and saw a rock. I concentrated and the rock floated in the air. While trying to float the rock, I tried to put it on fire. That went well.

My concentration was interrupted by Aragorn who angrily stormed out of the armory. I quickly put out the fire and laid the rock back on its place before jumping off the roof. I nearly crashed into Legolas.

"Gwen?" He said surprised. "Where were you?" I pointed at the roof.

"I was practicing but then I saw Aragorn storming off?" I ended up asking, hoping he would explain it too me.

He shook his head. "It's nothing, anyway I'm going to apologize." He walked after Aragorn and Gimli and I shared a look before following Legolas.

When we arrived, everything was back as it used to was. I smiled at the sight. A horn was heard and we all looked up.

"That is no orc horn," Legolas stated. Legolas and Aragorn ran towards the gate, Gimli and I following them.

"Send for the king!" A soldier commanded, "open the gate!"

The gate opened and an army of Lothlorien Elves marched up the Causeway into the Hornburg. They were led by Haldir and I smiled, happy to see my friend again.

Théoden made his way through the soldiers who stood in awe. "How is this possible?" He whispered.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together." He looked up at Aragorn and Legolas who stood before me. I was smaller then them so he probably didn't saw me. "We come to honor that allegiance."

Aragorn bowed curtly. "Welcome, Haldir." He then stepped forward and grabbed Haldir in a huge embrace. "You are most welcome!"

Legolas and Haldir clasped each other on the shoulder.

Haldir then saw me and smiled broadly. He bowed and all the Elves followed his lead. "My princess."

I laughed and practically jumped into his arms. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I repeated. His strong arms embraced me back. We let go and he turned back to the king.

"We are proud to fight alongside men, once more."

Haldir ordered his men to stand on their position while he pulled me from the others.

"I assume you're going to fight?" He asked. I nodded. "I can't let them fight for me."

He smiled. "I thought you would say that, so I have brought you this." He gave me a silver armor. "It's specially made for you, it should fit."

I looked at him with wide eyes. "Thank you, my friend."

Haldir grinned. "Thank me when we both survive this, now, put it on." I quickly obeyed, still in awe over how light the armor was, and slipped the it over my head. It fitted perfectly. I took my bow and quiver, that I took off before I put the armor on, and placed them on my back.

It was a perfect fit. "It's perfect!" I exclaimed happily. "Thank you so much!" I gave him a peck on the cheek and a kind smile.

He smiled back and offered me his arm. "May I accompany you to your position?"

I smiled and linked my arm with his. "You absolutely may."

Now, with the Elves as our ally, we have a chance to defeat this darkness. Let's just hope that's enough.