- 17 | S O N' S F U N E R A L

Théodred was dead. Killed by orcs. I sat on Éowyn's bed, waiting until she was ready. She insisted that I wore a dress. Normally I would've refused but she just lost her cousin and I pitied her so I just accepted it.

She came out of the bathroom, wearing a beautiful black dress, similar to mine. We walked out of the room and while she walked to Théoden, I walked to Legolas.

"I see she convinced you to wear a dress," he whispered. I smiled and he continued: "It soothes you." I blushed. "Well thank you, but don't get used to it."

Aragorn walked over with us with Gimli, eying us both. I gave him a look that said 'what are you worrying about' and followed Éowyn outside. She began singing as men carried Théodred's body into the tomb.

An evil death has set forth the noble warrior.
A song shall sing the sorrowing minstrels of Meduseld.
The noble cousin, who always held me dear.
Now is held in darkness, enclosed.

Aragorn stood beside me, whispering the translation in my ear. I looked down and a single tear fell from my face. I stepped over to Éowyn and embraced her. She leaned against me and cried. I stroke her hair and whispered kind words, some in Elvish, which seemed to calm her.

I leaded her back to her chamber and left her alone when she asked for it. I quietly closed her door and walked outside, deciding I needed some fresh air after all the emotions. I watched the hills and my eyes stopped at a horse who carried two children. I descended the stairs and walked faster. When the boy fell of, I was practically running at them. When I arrived, I quickly calmed the horse and kneeled by the boy. I scooped him up into my arms and looked at the young girl who also looked like she could fall off every moment.

"You're safe now," I said kindly.

"Follow me, please," I asked the horse.

I walked back and was happy the horse followed me. I was greeted by the guards who took the boys from my arms, took the little girl and took the reigns of the horse. I followed them inside and saw Éowyn sitting with her uncle. They looked up when we entered. Aragorn walked past the guards towards me.

"Everything alright?" He asked concerned. I nodded. "The boy and girl arrived with a exhausted horse a couple of minutes ago. I'm not sure if they're alright."

The guards put the boy, who had woken up, and the girl on a chair to the table. Éowyn ordered to give them some soup.

I kneeled next to the boy and saw Éowyn following my lead with the girl.

"They had no warning," Éowyn began, looking at the girl who's name was Freda. "They were unharmed. Now the wildmen are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree.

"Where is mama?" Freda anxiously asked.

"Hush, my child," Éowyn comforted her.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children." Gandalf began, stepping closer to the king of Rohan. "You must fight."

"You have two thousands good men riding north as we speak." Aragorn piped in. "Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me. But I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war," Théoden argued.

"Open war is upon you, whether you risk it or not," Aragorn insisted.

"When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king or Rohan."

I gritted my teeth. Aragorn only means well. Before I could speak up for him, Gandalf piped up.

"Then what is the king's decision?"

"By order of the king, the city must be emptied. We take for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourselves with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." Háma told the people.

I made my way towards the stables with Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and Gandalf.

"Helm's Deep!" Gimli exclaimed. "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?"

"He's only doing what he thinks is best," Aragorn replied, "Helm's Deep has saved them in the past."

"There is no way out of that ravine." Gandalf began, entering the stables. "Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold."

"They will hold," Aragorn replied with confidence.

Gandalf turned to Shadowfax and stroke his neck.

"The Grey Pelgrim... that is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look at the East.

Aragorn nodded and opened the stable door. "Go."

Legolas jumped back as Gandalf rode out of the stable and over the plains of Rohan.

"Let's hope he make it on time," I murmured.

Aragorn hugged me sideways. "He will," He murmured in my hair. I leaned against him. "What do you want me to do?"

"Help Éowyn, I saw you became close with each other. She'll need your help before the end."

I nodded and walked away. I gave Legolas a wink when I passed him and climbed the stairs. I walked into the hall towards Éowyn's chamber. I knocked on her door and peaked in when I heard her voice. "Need any help?"

She smiled when she saw me. "Actually, I do."

I walked into the room and started packing things she handed to me.

"You and lord Aragorn seem like close," Éowyn began. I smiled, I had a feeling that Eowyn would ask that. "We are." She nodded, probably saying to herself that Aragorn was already in love with someone. That someone was just not me but my mother. I smiled at her. "You have become fond of him." She blushed. "I am." I smiled sadly at her. A broken heart was one of the hardest things to heal. I completely trusted Aragorn that he wouldn't cheat on Arwen.

"You're not mad at me?" This question made me laugh. "Why would I be mad at you?" She frowned. "Because I am in love with your man." That just did it. I laughed so hard that tears wear streaming down my face. "You think Aragorn and I-?" I just couldn't talk further. Éowyn looked awkwardly at me. I stopped laughing and looked seriously at her. I could trust her with the truth. "I do love him, it's just.."

I stopped when I said I loved him. I never said that before and deep down I know I do. I continued when I saw Éowyn's hand waving in front of my face.

"He's my father." That Eowyn was shocked, was an understatement. "What? But how? I mean you're an elf?" I grinned. "Half-elf." "But don't you have any powers then?" I nodded slightly, not really knowing what to say. "But he doesn't seem that old." I laughed. "He is my old man. Just don't say I said that."

I put my hand on her shoulder. "A broken heart is one of the most difficult things to heal," I said, warning her. She nodded but seemed with her mind elsewhere.

I decided to give her a moment and packed quietly further. I just hoped she wouldn't try anything.