- 12 | L O R D C E L E B O R N & L A D Y G A L A D R I E L

The Fellowship and I followed Haldir the stairs up. We came out on a rather large platform. Two elves descended the stairs and stopped in front of us.

Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel.

I saw Aragorn and Legolas bow so I bowed too.

"The enemy knows you have entered here," Lord Celeborn began, "what hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine that are here yet ten there where set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him, I can no longer see him from afar."

Galadriel looked into Aragorn's and mine eyes, already knowing the answer.

"Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into Shadow," she spoke softly.

Legolas was the one who spoke up.

"He was taken by both Shadow and flame. A Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the mine of Moria."

"Needlessly were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his full purpose." Galadriel replied, looking down at Gimli. "Do not let the great emptiness of Khalsa-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Gloin. For the world had grown full of peril. And in all lands love is now mingled with grief."

She looked at Boromir who had a hard time holding her gaze.

"What becomes now of this Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost."

I stepped up. "I disagree, my lord. As long as Sauron doesn't have the Ring, there is still hope."

Lord Celeborn looked at me attentively and Lady Galadriel smiled.

"The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true," she said, looking at me. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight, you will sleep in peace."

We bowed again and followed the elves off the platform.

"Long have I waited this day to come, and eager I have been to meet you." Lady Galadriel's voice said in my head. "Now, sleep in peace, for the dark powers won't get access to you." I smiled at her kind words.

Someone grabbed my arm gently and leaded me from the Fellowship. "And what do you think we're doing?" I asked Haldir.

"Lady Galadriel has given me the order to guide you to your room, princess." He replied.

"Can I take a bath first?"

He smiled at me. "Of course, princess."

I gave him a little push. "Stop calling me that."

He grinned and glanced at me. "What? Princess?" I pushed him again, harder this time.

"Yes."

"Well, how do I call you then?" He asked jokingly.

I smiled. "You can call me Gwen."

He shook his head but smiled. "As you wish, Gwen."

He leaded me to a small lake. "You can bath here, I will let someone come to help you with whatever you need." I nodded and he left. I took my clothes of and laid them on a rock. I carefully entered the water and noticed that it wasn't as cold as I had expected. It was actually just the right temperature. I swam around and took a couple of dives. I held out my hand and let a giant water drop float. I let it move from one side to the other and back again.

Movement from the shore of the lake let me stop what I was doing. A she-elf walked out of the bushes with a basket and bowed when she saw me.

"Princess, I am Alyndra, I will help you during your stay in Lothlorien."

I swam closer to her. "Just call me Gwen, please."

She smiled. "Well then Gwen, I have some new clothes for you to wear and I'll wash your old ones. She took a beautiful blue dress out of the basket and handed it over to me. I pulled it on and noticed it was a right fit. When she was taking my dirty clothes, I quickly pulled on my boots.

"I will guide you to your room and then I'll do your hair." Alyndra said.

I nodded, took my weapons and followed her. She guided me to a big tree and we climbed the stairs. She opened the first door she saw and we walked in. I put my weapons on the small table that stood at the end of my bed. Alyndra guided me to a chair that stood before a mirror. "Now," she began, "Let's do your hair."

I tried not to groan and was relieved when it didn't took her that long. "Thank you," I said, "but I must ask, how did you do that?"

She laughed. "I had a lot of time to practice." She stood up. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll take your clothes to let them wash." I nodded and she left. I walked over to my weapons and took the knife Arwen gave me and gasped it back on its place. You never know what you're up against.

I decided to go and check the other members of the Fellowship. A few guidances later, I could hear their voices through the threes. Frodo smiled when he saw me.

"Gwen!" Pippin and Merry exclaimed happily. I smiled at them and went with my hands through their hair. "It's good to see you too," I replied.

"You look good in a dress," a voice behind me said. I smiled and turned to look at Legolas. "I'm pretty sure you look better in a dress than I do."

He chuckled. "I don't think so."

I looked at Aragorn and then back at Legolas. "What about him?"

He looks like he considered the option but shook his head eventually. "You're still the best in a dress."

I blushed and looked down. "Thanks."

Around us the elves started to sing a lament for Gandalf. "A lament for Gandalf," Legolas sighed.

"What do they say about him?" Merry asked.

Legolas lowered his head. "I have not the heart to tell you, for the grief is still too near."

"I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them." Sam piped up. I nodded, remembering the firework at Bilbo's birthday party. "You're right, Sam."

"The finest rockets ever seen," I began.

"They burst in stars of blue and green," Sam continued, smiling.

"Or after thunder, silver showers..." I said, hesitating. I wasn't very good in poems.

"Came falling like a rain of flowers." Sam ended. I smiled and ruffled through his hair.

I sat down by the fire while Gimli started the story about how Bilbo went on an adventure with thirteen dwarves and a wizard to reclaim their homeland, Erebor.

I laid my head on Legolas' shoulder and he put his arm around me. My eyes closed and I enjoyed his warmth.

Life could be good sometimes.