Chapter 53

Era:

This time it's harder to ignore the pain in my leg.

I bite my lip to keep from crying out but there's nothing I can do about the tears. At least they're silent. Slowly, I lift one hand after the other pulling myself forwards. I started out on my two feet but only a few minutes later I collapsed and I didn't have enough strength to pull myself back up. Fairly soon I reach the control room. Two things run through my mind when I see the open door: one, that they managed to turn off the guns, then two, when I see the blood smear on the door, that one of them is dead. Panic threatens to sink it's fangs into me, and I comfort myself by thinking that it's Deeth. I feel sick that that comforts me, but it keeps my thoughts clear and I need that. Hurriedly, I grit my teeth against the pain and scuttle through the doorway. When I see our savior lying on the floor with a bullet wound smack in the middle of his stomach, my first thought is relief, and then horror. He's dead, dead, and I'm feeling relieved. I pull myself next to him, and stare sadly into his sightless eyes.

"Thank you, Deeth," I whisper, "I'm sorry."

I check on the console and sure enough the guns are off. I see a Keeper lying dead on the floor, but the gun is closer to Deeth. The used to be Authority must have been shot, then stolen the gun and shot the Keeper to protect Hunter. I feel like I owe him my life after he saved Hunter, and I feel bad that I wasn't here to give it to him. Somehow his sacrifice gives me strength, and I use a chair to lift myself to my feet, then stumble out of the room using the wall to support myself to where I know the final battle will take place: the hall where the cells are.