Chapter 47

Hunter:

I slide forwards and sit down in the chair on the opposite side of the desk than my Father.

"So, you've come here to apologize for your actions, then?"

"Anything but." I answer casually, "I'm here to free the women."

Father snorts.

"You can't be serious? One boy against an army of Keepers? You have to be mad to try that!"

"I don't need to beat all the Keepers." I tell him evenly.

Father pauses.

"You just need to beat me." He says softly.

"Don't feel so special, you're not the only one I need to beat."

He turns around and stares at me.

"That's bullshit!" Father snaps, "Who else do you need to murder to accomplish this?"

"I think you know."

I pick up a pen from the desk and twirl it around my finger. Father stands up and leans over his desk towards me.

"Why do you think I'll let you live? Why do you think I won't tell the Keepers outside to come in here and shoot you?" He asks quietly.

"Because your embarassed." I look him straight in the eye, "You're embarassed that you let me escape, that I turned against you, and you don't want anyone to know."

Father sits back down again, his gaze stony.

"Why do you have the courage to stand up to me? You of all people understand what I'm capable of. That doesn't scare you?"

"It does. That's the only reason I didn't come for you sooner." I snap.

"What made you change your mind?"

"I had to help the person I love." I whisper.

"Right, I forgot about your girlfriend. The one that made you turn on your family."

Something inside me snaps at his words and I'm filled with boiling rage.

"YOU'RE NOT MY FAMILY!" I shout at him.

I get up and lean forwards, so that my face is inches from his.

"Hunter, don't be si-" he begins.

"Shut. Up." I spit.

His eyes narrow but he doesn't say anything else for now.

"If you were my family," I begin, walking away from him and pacing the room, "you wouldn't abuse me until I nearly died whenever I did something you didn't like."

"I did that to prepare you for the real world!" Father hisses.

"DO I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT TO YOU?" I scream at him.

Venom sparkles in his eyes but he closes his mouth in a thin line.

"I had to teach you the lesson, and people learn better when they have somthing to dread." He crosss his arms over his chest.

I'm reminded that he's the superior one here, I'm just the complaning child. But for some reason I need him to know my thoughts. I need him to understand before he can't understand anything anymore.

"How sick." I tell him, "What a sick thought. This entire world is sick."

"Is that really what you believe, Hunter?"

"It's the truth. Whats not to believe in the truth?"

He doesn't answer, so I continue.

"If you were my family, you would support my decisions, let me do what I want. I never wanted to be a Keeper, you know. But I knew what would happen if I refused."