Chapter 41

Hunter:

Railt showed me around the entire building, except where the cells are. Finally, after what seemed like eternity, we come back to the ward.

"Voilá!" Railt beams, but he looks kind of nervous, "And this is the prison!"

"Where's the cells?" I ask, cocking my head to the side.

"T-t-the cells?" Railt stutters, sweat beading on his forehead.

"Yes." My eyes narrow suspiciously, "What's wrong, man?"

"Why would you want to actually see the cells?" Railt snaps.

"Because that's where I'll be working."

Railt sighs.

"No one can go there right now." He mutters quietly.

"Why?"

"Because your girlfriend is being Disposed as we speak." A different voice chuckles.

Sebastion steps out of the shadows, a sly grin plastered on his face.

"Era?" I stare at him.

No, it can't be. Era is smart, sneaky. She won't have gotten caught, right?

"No," Sebastion sneers, "Erad."

My heart drops into the pit of my stomach.

"Your lying!" I hiss.

"You wish." Sebastion cackles.

"You're different." I say quietly, "You used to be nice, not evil."

My little brother's face hardens, and he puts his in front of me so that his nose is practically touching mine.

"You expect me to be nice," he snarls, "after you've betrayed Father and I. And for a girl, no less!"

"Yes. Sticking together as a family is on of many things that women to right and men don't." I growl back.

Sebastion slaps me. I rub my cheek, staring at him, then punch him in the stomach. He doubles over, winded and I kick him on the back side of his knee. Sebastion groans as his legs buckle beneath him.

"They'll kill you, you know." Sebastion shouts at me, "They'll kill you if you try to save her! And Father will be so mad at you! It's too late anyways!"

I push my face up to his, my expression filled with disgust for the boy I had once thought cared for me.

"That doesn't work on me, anymore. I'm strong, now. And I've learned to do anything to protect the people I love." I whisper, my voice harsh.

I run away towards where the Range is as Railt goes to help Sebastion up.