Chapter 17

Hunter:

I want to die. I didn't want Era to think I don't love her... That was definitely not my intent. I sigh, cursing at myself for what I said to her.

"I want to run with you." I whisper as if she was stilll there.

I groan. How could I be so stupid, saying what I did? Of course she would think I don't like her. I tol her that we shouldn't be together... And the excuse, though true, was weak...

"Era?" I call.

I hear footsteps running up the stairs and she appears in the doorway, her lips pursed.

"What is it, Hunter?" She sighs, running her hand through her hair.

"I love you."

"If you did then you wouldn't push me away."

"I love you."

"Don't make me repeat myself."

"I love you."

"Then why, Hunter?" she cries, close to tears.

"Because I love you."

"We both know that's no reason at all."

"My father... You'd be in more danger."

She crosses the room and sits next to me, staring out the small window on the opposite wall.

"I can't get into much more danger than I already am."

"That's what you think before it happens, love."

Her eyes search mine for any lies that might be buried in there.

"It's up to you, I guess. Yes or no?" Era says finally.

"I-I can't."

"That's it, then." she stands up, sounding hurt.

"Era-" I begin.

"You had no reason to call me, and no reason to tell me that you love me. You made your choice, and I've made mine."

"What choice did you make?"

She turns her gaze to me, before uttering words that are knives to my heart.

"To never love again."

I stay in my room the whole day, though by evening my body isn't screaming in pain anymore and I can move a bit. It won't take long for the outside cuts and bruises to heal, but the ones in my heart still ache painfully. What kind of father beats his own son? Why me? I hear the door open and Sebastion comes into the room. My eyes lock with his and he smiles softly, sensing the pain inside of me and wanting to heal even though he could never understand.

"You never got a chance to be a child." I realize suddenly and am surprised by how sad it makes me, "It's your last year before you have to get ready to choose which path you take."

"Yeah, well," he sighs, "neither did anyone else, did they?"

"I got some time."

"That was before the pubs were built."

I don't answer him because I know it's true. Father only began abusing us and forcing us to grow up when the pubs were built and he gained easy access to alchohol.

"They should never have been built."

"But they were and that can't be changed."

I sigh and lift myself up on my feet, staggering a bit from my own weight. Sebastion steadies me and I put my arm over his shoulder so he can help me walk downstairs.

"Erad is seeming very distressed." He mentions vaguely, but I can sense the curiosity in his voice.

"Has he made dinner."

"Been working on it all afternoon, helpful boy. I'd say we're having yet another feast tonight, but the food supply is running low and we'll have to go Outside soon. I have school to go to, and I don't think Erad, however resourceful he his, is ready to go by himself."

"I'll be better enough to go with him by then." I say firmly.

He looks as if he's about to challenge me on it, but Sebastion just smiles slightly.

"You are a strong one, my older brother. The Authorities don't control your thoughts."

I cock my head at him and I take a slow step towards the door. Pain shoots through me and I grimace. This is not going to be easy.

"What about you, Sebastion?" I question, "Are the Authorities pulling your strings?"

"That is for me to know and you to wonder."

I laugh, but his words unsettle me. The Authorities are very influencel, very powerful, and very, very dangerous. Do they have their hooks in my brother? No matter how wrong his thoughts, he still means the world to me.

"The Authorities are dangerous, Sebastion." I tell him, suddenly serious.

"Their thoughts are also right."

"Do you really think that?"

"I feel no need to defend myself to you." He says, his voice strained.

"Sebastion-"

"I don't want to talk about it, Hunter."

"Fine then."

We stagger into the kitchen and collapse onto the chairs that are set around the table. Another feast is laid out, but Era looks as if she wishes it weren't and that she would have more work to do. We sit for awhile in uncomfortable silence but finally the door bangs open and father walks in, slamming the wooden door behind him. He stomps into the kitchen and sits down. Era springs up and starts to serve us, spooning peanut salad and meat onto our plates.

"How are you feeling, Hunter?" Father asks, shoveling food into his mouth.

"Okay." I answer, not really in a talking mood.

"Nothing more than that?"

"Nope."

He sighs, and turns to Sebastion. He shrugs.

"Normal school day."

"How about you?" He turns to Era.

"Been caring for Hunter, making dinner."

He nods slowly, smiling slightly.

"Thank you for properly answering me."

Sebastion looks as uncomfortable as I feel right now under the head Keeper's ice cold gaze. I glance at Era. Where's she going with this?

"Did you learn anything today, Erad?" Father asks her.

"Yes." she replies softly.

"And what is that?"

"I learned never to trust another man."

Then she slams her cutlery on the table and runs outside into the back yard.