Chapter 24

Special thanks to SupermansDaughter for making my new cover! Its lovely, I really appreciate it! She's the one to go to if you want a new cover, the ones she make are amazing! Anyways I'm sorry I've been bad at posting for a while. I hope you enjoy!

************************************************

Era:

It isn't long before I grudgingly admit that if Hunter hadn't come I would be dead by now. I can fight, but without food nor water I wouldn't last long.

"Finally, you realize it!" He teases me.

"Oh, ha ha ha," I mutter, not finding it funny in the least bit.

We trudge along a bit longer, our legs leaden with exhaustion, and my heart heavy with worry. Moa and Keara will think I'm one of the Disposed... An image of Keara when she thought I was Disposed while I was still in the prison pops into my mind and I try not to cry. She had given up on life because she thought I was dead. Not herself, but me! I can't have her disappearing like that, becoming a shadow of the person she used to be. I find myself missing the prison for the first time since I left, and it shocks me. How could I miss the prison? I furrow my brow, trying to sort it out. Then I realize that it's not the prison itself that I miss: it's those occasional good memories with Keara, Moa, Amiya, Tamiyo... My mother. Those memories I miss, and those are things I'm never going to get back. Because if I'm caught, they will finally Dispose of me.

Hunter and I walk for hours on end until finally he convinces me that we need to make camp for the night. He sets the pack on the ground and digs through it, tossing me a carrot. I smile slightly at him then bite into the vegetable, ravenous. After we've both eaten our share of what we can spare from our limited food supply I spread open the blanket on the ground and light a fire close by so that we can talk a bit. The night twinkles around us and the fire casts shadows in the trees, making me jump now and then. I roll onto my back and he props himself up on one elbow on his side. For a while he stares at me while I look up at the stars and pretend not to notice.

"Era?" He whispers finally.

"Yes?"

"Climb up the tree,"

Puzzled, I look at him quizzicly. His expression is soft, his eyes twinkling.

"No, I'm tired." I tease him, sticking out my tongue at him

"Please," His voice is a fake whining tone and he bas his eylashes at me.

I grin. Shaking my head and laughing, I get on my feet and walk to the base of the tree.

"Fine." I give an exaggerated sigh and fake reluctance.

Hunter's mouth spreads into a smile as I scramble up the tree, sitting on a thick branch and swinging my legs. Hunter gets up and climbs up after me until he's on the branch.

"You've stolen me, Era. You've taken my heart, and I can never forget that." He breathes, smiling softly and genty brushes away a stray lock of my hair.

And then he's on me, and we're kissing. I hold him close to me, never wanting to let him go. His hand slides up my shirt and wraps around my back.

"I love you," He gasps, coming up for air.

I smile and place one finger on his lips.

"Shhh..." I whisper, then pull his lips on mine.

My hand slides along his bare stomach, his T-shirt near the fire where he took it off when the day got hot. I push myself at him, wanting him more than ever. Hunter's mine. No one can take him from me, and I've never been happier.