Chapter 19

Era:

I tear through the brush, running as fast as I can through the forest.

"Be strong, be strong."

A bullet bursts in the tree in front of me.

"What has my life come to?" I whisper.

Hunter:

As soon as I said those fatal words I regretted them ever leaving my mouth. I saw how much they hurt her, how they pierced her heart. But I know that what I did gave her a second chance. Era... I had made a mistake, told her something that had hurt her more than I thought it would. After all, I'm only human. I don't always know how my words and actions will effect others. She'd been desperate and blown her cover, hoping that Sebastion would understand. I know Sebastion wouldn't. He's as brain washed as everyone else in this cursed world. When Sebastion had called for us to come... I had known what was coming. Known what Era had done, how Era had broken, snapped. Told Sebastion a secret that he shouldn't know. I'd come running, my heart sinking along with my footsteps as I grabbed my gun.

"I can go by myself, father." I'd insisted, desperate for him not to come.

"I'm going, Hunter." He had answered coldly.

When Era said how we were in love, had kissed each other, father had rounded on me. And I had been forced to say the words that would burn a whole in my love's heart:

"She's lying."

I saw the pain before in her eyes before she ran away. And it had hurt me. It had felt like a knife through my heart, but it was the only way to save her, and myself. My father... He has to believe there is nothing between us, otherwise we won't be safe. Now I can go and find her, pretend that I'm going to bring her back to cell fifteen. We'll be as safe as we'll ever be. For now though, the pain is close to unbearable. I run my hand through my hair.

"Stop that, Hunter. It's what you had to do." I murmer to myself.

"What?" Sebastion asks.

"Nothing." I dismiss him, angry at my little brother.

He betrayed Era, told her she could trust him with a dark, deep secret and he had almost got her killed. Got me killed too. If I died it would be hopeless for her, stuck in this world and meant to be Disposed.

"Get back inside, boys." Father orders us, and we obey.

I swing the door open and storm inside. Now that I'm away from father, I can finally show my feelings. I slam the door behind me, missing Sebastion's face by inches. Except, for the first time, I don't care. He deserves to feel pain that he's inflicted on Era. Well, maybe not him directly, but by believing he's betraying the women.

"Hunter, what's wrong?" Sebastion asks, shock apparent in his voice.

"What's wrong?" I say slowly, coldly, "WHAT'S WRONG? Everything's wrong!"

"Hunter, I'm upset that Erad turned out to be a-a woman too. I know that it's hard to realize that she's just scum and that she was lying. But it's going to be taken care of. Father just sent a bunch of Keepers to kill her. Don't worry."

My blood turns to ice.

"He did what?" I ask, my voice trembling in anger.

"He sent them to kill her. She's going to be taken care of." He repeats as if to reassure me.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I panic.

"Hunter, what's wrong?" Sebastion asks again, sounding worried.

"This world. Your thoughts. My actions. Everything, is wrong, little brother." I growl, resting my head against the door frame.

"I don't understand."

"Of course you wouldn't." I sigh.

Leaning back, I try to think of what I have to do. She doesn't stand a chance against a bunch of armed Keepers. Era may be strong, she may be resilient, but she's not bulletproof. And they want her dead, not alive.

"I have to save her." I whisper.

"What the hell are you talking about? She's a woman!" Sebastion's eyes are wide, his voice incredulous.

"With all do respect," I tell him, "I sometimes wonder if you're even human. You certainly don't act like it. No one does in this sick world."

I run upstairs before he can answer and rummage through my room until I find my bag. Banging open my drawer, I start piling in two pairs of clothes, stuffing an extra sweater in for Era. Sebastion comes into my room and knocks my hands away, his eyes blazing.

"What are you talking about?" he hisses, "Have you gone mad?"

"Don't think I haven't considered that."

I shove him out of my way and bring my bag downstairs. I place it on the counter beside the fridge then swing the grey steel door of the fridge open. I start piling food in, everything that won't rot in a few days time like the nuts.

"Hunter-" Sebastion leaps in front of the pantry, looking almost pleading.

"I have to do this, Sebastion." I sigh, cutting him off.

I shove past him and pile canned vegetables inside, all of them pickled for the winter. Pickling is the one task that father helps Sebastion and I do. Sebastion leaps out of the way this time as I run out of the pantry and take out six massives bottles meant for carrying water from the cabinet, all of them meant to attatch to the bag and make them easier to carry. Turning on the faucet I fill each of them to the top then attatch them to the bag.

"Hunter, where are you going!" Sebastion cries.

I sling my bag over my shoulder and grab my coat, slipping it on I walk purposely towards the back door, which is now clear of anyone. Desperately, Sebastion jumps in front of the door.

"Let me out." I sigh, trying to get past him to the door.

"No!" Sebastion says firmly, blocking me.

"Sebastion-"

"I said no, Hunter!' he hisses.

I step back, my mind racing in panic. I have to do something, I have to get to Era. Slowly, slowly, I raise my gun and aim it am my little brother's head.

"Step. Out. Of. The. Way." I snarl, trembling.

Sebastion pales.

"You wouldn't." he whispers.

"You underestimate me." My hand trembles.

Oh god, can I really do this? Can I shoot my own brother? I can't. Never. I can never stoop to their level, I'm not capable of such actions. But I am capable of lying.

"What are you doing, Hunter?" He asks softly, tears streaming down his face.

"The right thing." I whisper.

He steps out of the way.

"This once, brother. But I'm going to tell father. You'll be a fugitive too." Sebastion warns me.

"Life is all about the risks you take to save the ones you love." I tell him.

Then I run out before he can change his mind. I run out, out and away from everything I know and change my life forever with that simple action.