Chapter 2

Thank you for reading and please comment and vote!!!! I want to know what people think!!!!

Thanks again and enjoy!!!!

*************************************************************

Era:

A man in a suit carrying a clipboard stands before us, two Keepers shadowing him. I feel Keara edge closer to me. Like all of the girls under twelve, she has never before seen a man, and we all know to fear them. They are, after all, the ones that imprisioned us women.

"Names?" The man asks, sounding bored.

"Era and Keara," I answer.

In a practiced move, he plucks a pen that had been resting on his ear and uncaps it, checking off our names on his clipboard.

"Follow me,"

He turns around and we follow suit, practically running in order to keep up with his swift pace as the Keepers easily fall in step behind us. The door to our cell shuts behind us with a loud bang. Not going back in there unless they want us too. We walk down a long corridor filled with different cells. We have the longest walk, being cell fifteen, the last cell that was ever made. Keepers patrol the hallway, ready to catch any potential escapees. Or shoot, it depends which is easier. We turn onto another hallway, this one also long but with a single door at the end. Four more Keepers join the first two, creating a sort of box around us. Trapped, not chance of escape. Like we'd be stupid enough to try. They shepherd us through the door, and the man with the clipboard whispers to us:

"No funny business."

Then he simply stalks out of the room, and I envy him for being able to do that. The Keepers in the front step out of our way and join the Keepers on the side. Two chairs are in front of us. Apparently they were dentist's chairs before the Fall, the plague that killed most of the earth's population, but I'm not so sure, even though they certainly do look like dentist's chairs. If you took away the velcro straps and the strip that juts out. And all the medical supplies around it, and the huge light on top. Okay, now you get why I have my doubts. My stomach does a double flip and my brain is screaming at me to run away as fast as I can. My breathing quickens, and I close my eyes, taking a minute to concentrate on not panicking and to breathe normally. Having the Scar is never pleasent, but it's what the men keep us alive for, so it isn't a question. I bite down on my lip, and, calmed down by the familiarity of the action, I start walking forwards again. I don't get very far before I have to stop, because Keara is like a dead weight on the hand that she is clutching. I turn around, sucking in a deep breath of panic when I see Keara frozen with fear, and it's clear as the daylight that comes through the cell window that she is going to try to escape. I try to pull her forwards, but she refuses to move.

"Keara!" I hiss "Bad idea. Really bad idea."

She whimpers.

"Come on!" I beg, pulling at her arm, but she's strong.

The Keepers aren't supposed to touch us unless we try to escape, but the one in back of Keara gets annoyed and pushes her forwards.

"Move it, girl!" He barks.

"She's coming," I apologize for Keara, "She's just scared."

"And she damn right should be," He mutters, but I pretend not to hear him.

"Everything is going to be fine, sweetheart," I bend down and whisper into her ear, being her big sister instead of her friend, like she needs me to be, "Be strong. I know you have it in you."

She nods and we walk forwards again. I realize I've been holding my breath, and let it go. I'm all too aware that she just nearly got herself shot there. If she'd actually tried to escape...