*Chapter Thirty-Two*

Cadence made sure there was at least a decent amount of space between Avary and her. She watched the Prince warily as he stroked the worthless metal in his hand. Pools of blood littered the place. It was a massacre. She wanted to yell and to shriek. Why? Why on earth did she agree to this?

He casually walked over the dead bodies of their fellow competitors who were dumb enough to be seen by him. Cadence knew he wouldn’t hesitate to kill, and there wouldn’t be anything she could defend herself with. She was helpless.

Avary tapped his foot against the ground, his hand stroking his chin distractedly. Cadence grimaced. She was a hundred percent sure this Prince was mental.

Now what?

“I want to find Aurora.”

No! I want to kill her!

Instead, Cadence nodded stiffly. She hadn’t talked in at least a few days. How could she? With this constant fear surrounding her mind, it was a wonder she was still sane.

“Aw, it’s night already. The sun was up just a few minutes ago!”

A shiver ran down Cadence’s spine. She didn’t like his overly joyous mood at all. Avary hummed silently as he walked down the rows of trees. Suddenly he stopped, Cadence’s eyes widened. She quickly took a large step back as if Avary was some poisonous creature. The Demon Prince laughed uproariously at her expression.

Cadence gritted her teeth. Her eyes never left the object in his hand. For a moment, she wondered how he would react if Cadence were to snatch it away from him.

I’ll definitely be killed.

Her posture stiffened. Her enhanced hearing told her there were two pairs of footsteps approaching them. Cadence was only too glad. At least this way, Avary would switch his attention away from her. The blue around his pupils changed to red, and he sniffed the air. A grin stretched across his face. Cadence shivered at the hungry look he wore, and goose bumps appeared on her arm at his next word.

“Aurora.”

Liam could swear he didn’t miss it. The fireball shot out of his palm, and with great precision, right at the human. At last possible nanosecond, she disappeared from his view. He brushed a few strands of brown hair away. A trickle of sweat from both his earlier exertion at running around and the adrenaline ran down from his forehead and into one of his eye.

He blinked.

He felt three sharp stings of pain on his cheek, and he winced. The girl was right in front of him. Her lifeless eyes bothered him more than her deadly accurate attacks. The only reason why his head wasn’t rolling on the ground was because he had tripped by sheer luck when backing away from the girl.

She pulled her hand back, ready to thrust it into his skull. Liam took another step back and paled. The last few times he’d tried to counter her attacks had ended up badly – the patches of blood on his shirt was the solid proof. There was something solid behind him – a trunk. He had nowhere to run. Was this it? He was breathing heavily. Demons do get tired, just like any beings. The girl in front of her showed absolutely no sign of fatigue. Abruptly, she lowered her hand.

Huh?

She spun around. Liam seized the chance and tossed a large fireball at her. The fire vanished as if she had absorbed it. She slowly turned around, and Liam flinched.

“Sloth,” she said, her voice matching the coldness in her eyes. “You were once a slave.”

“What?” Liam felt his blood drain from his face.