*Chapter Twenty-Three*

“Uh, Adrian?”

“What?”

Aurora scowled at his pleasant reply. “This may seem stupid, but I don’t like this place.”

Adrian had motioned for her to follow her, and she did. They went though some sort of dark tunnel earlier appeared out of a small jungle filled with different kinds of trees. Aurora glanced around her with disgust. She had easily spotted two tarantulas as large as her torso. She squealed and ran away like a little girl. She couldn’t help herself. Spiders were never her favorite animal. Was that…? Aurora turned around, and she yelped at a large blue boa. The color was so unnatural that she was sure it was poisonous.

“I loathe this place, Adrian.” Aurora crossed her arms over her chest and hugged herself, glancing every so often around her in fright that an animal would just leap out and attack her.

“Deal with it.”

If she weren’t this freaked out by this place, she would lash out and punch him in the face. The demon seemed nonchalant to anything that happened around him. Aurora felt herself step on something soft and squishy. She screamed, causing Adrian to twist around with alarm. Adrian’s face was definitely a sight to behold. It was torn between laughter and irritation as he took in the sight of the human hopping around in disgust. The innocent mushroom was squashed against the earth.

“I despise this place, Adrian,” she said through clenched teeth.

Anger burned in her mismatched eyes, adding to her exotic looks. Adrian couldn’t help but notice how fiery and – he would never admit this – pretty she looked. The slight blush at her own immature move did nothing to diminish her beauty. It enhanced it. At that moment, she was not a shadow of the girl he loved but an entire different person.

“Go ahead, make fun of me.”

She stormed past him, her strides determined and long. A deeper shade of red colored her cheeks, and she groaned inwardly.

“This is ridiculous. Do even know the way?”

“You’re going the wrong way.”

“You could have told me earlier!”

The girl twisted around sharply, anger still evident in her posture. Once again, she marched past Adrian and towards the direction they came from. She stopped.

“Didn’t we come from -?”

“I never said you went the opposite way.”

Aurora wanted to strangle the demon’s throat as he took a left turn, disappearing once again into the thickets of plants. The way he smirked at her was beyond infuriating. He deserved to be pushed head first down a toilet. Aurora growled loudly and shuddered each time as a leave or a branch made contact with her skin.

“You’re not getting away with this, Adrian. I swear you’re not.”

“Phoebe, we’re sorry for not trusting you, but we can’t afford to let you run away like last time.”

The blonde’s eyes narrowed in anger. Her lips were pulled back in a snarl, and both James and Diana looked worried. Gabriella grimaced. The Princess seemed to hate it when people ordered her around.

“I can go wherever the Hell I want. Also, why are those two angels still with us?” She raised her hand and pointed at the said two people.

“Your Highness,” Daniel said with the slightest hint of mockery, “please pacify yourself.”