*Chapter Five*

*Chapter Five*

“You’re late.”

“I’m not!”

Cade jerked his thumb towards the clock at a far end of the wall, and Aurora squinted. The minute hand of the clock went a bit past twelve.

“Cade, I’m late by a minute.”

“You’re still late.”

“And you’re a jerk.”

Somewhere behind Cade, Aurora saw someone approaching them. Pivoting around on her heel, Aurora saw a familiar strawberry blonde.

“Gabriella!” she exclaimed. “I didn’t expect the two of you to know each other.”

“What a coincidence,” Gabriella chuckled.

“She should be here soon,” Cade muttered.

“Who? Your girlfriend?” Aurora smirked.

Cade’s eyes snapped to hers, and Aurora mouthed ‘payback’. Cade narrowed his eyes and proceeded to ruffle up Aurora’s hair.

“You’re evil, you.”

Aurora’s eyes caught Gabriella’s gaze on her. Something about the look seemed oddly familiar, and with a jolt, Aurora realized what was going on.

“Oh, she’s here!”

Aurora turned in the direction of Cade’s glance, and her jaw dropped open. Rushing into the cinema was the girl Aurora least expected. Her stilettos clicked loudly on the cinema ground, and she had a dazzling smile on her face. Her smile froze when her eyes landed on Aurora. Aurora could see pieces clicking in her brain.

“Who’s she, Cade?” Cadence asked none-too-politely.

“A friend, do you know her?”

Her green eyes slid from Aurora to Cade.

“No. Oh, Cade, I also brought someone.”

She twisted around as if to search for someone.

“Here!” she waved at someone behind her.

Aurora spun around, intending to walk up to Cade and ask him if he was aware he had invited someone who sincerely wished with all her heart to rip Aurora to pieces if she could. Instead of all that, Aurora stumbled back a few steps, and she felt as if she had just walked into a rock.

“What the hell? Look where you’re going,” Cadence hissed with burning rancor. Aurora lifted her head up and saw Adrian standing in front of her. Cadence rushed past Aurora, her heels clicking loudly.

“Love, are you okay?”

Aurora’s laughter came out as a snort through her nose. Cadence sent her a glare, but Aurora was too busy trying to recompose her features to glare back.

“Love?” Aurora had managed to gasp before she turned away because she was laughing too hard to talk. “You certainly don’t seem like the type to say that,” she said after a whole minute, still chuckling softly to herself. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Gabriella trying to hide her smile. “Don’t you think so?” she smirked, sparing Adrian a look since he had first come here.

Her smug expression faded when Adrian stared back stoically, with absolutely no recognition.

“Adrian?” she said softly, anxiety creeping into her voice.

Instead of reply, he turned away.

“Let’s go, Love,” Cadence snapped, casting a dirty glance on Aurora while she said her last word.

Aurora’s eyes assessed Adrian. He really showed no recognition.

What. The. Hell?

Without thinking, her hand closed around his wrist. He stopped but didn’t turn back. Aurora tightened her grip and yanked.

“What the hell, Adrian? Did you get amnesia?”

Did she slap him too hard? That doesn’t make sense! Panic entered her brain, stopping her mind from working properly. The hand around his wrist shook slightly. What was going on?!

“What’s your problem?” Cadence screeched. The girl grasped her wrist and tore it away from his. “Bitch, watch where you lay your hands on.”

Under any other circumstances, Aurora would have made the human pay for what she just called her, but right now, her attention was solely focused on him. Was he acting as if he didn’t know her? Her suspicion was confirmed in his next sentence.

“Do I,” he turned his head sideways, “know you?”

Taking advantage of her shock, he pulled back his hand. If any expression had crossed onto his features, it was caution. It was as if he was silently warning her. Letting out a soft sigh as if Aurora was being irrational, he walked away. Aurora felt something unknown break inside her. She felt a strong shove against her shoulder, and the girl walked past her, giving her the finger.

Why was he so different? Just a few hours ago, he had been acting like the most arrogant and insensitive person ever alive, and now, it was as if he had never even seen her. Aurora’s mind jumbled into complicated puzzle, and she desperately tried to solve it. She felt her resolution shatter within her. Was it really a good idea?

Doubt.

Something that she has never felt in all these years of searching for him suddenly sprang up within her.

Flashes of the movie went past her eyes, but nothing went into her head. She stared at the large screen in front of her, but her mind was focused on the incidence. Was it just her? He seemed to be telling her something with those eyes of his. Aurora scoffed at her own theory. He could just say it then. She glanced sideways and saw Cadence leaning her head on his shoulder. Adrian was facing the movie, but something told Aurora that, just like her, his mind was entirely elsewhere.