*Chapter Twenty-Four*

An involuntary cry escaped her lips as her body was flung across the air. Her stomach churned, and the world in front of her shifted. She caught sight of the waxing moon before an upside down tree entered her gaze. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw Lirithia raising her index at her.

Oh no.

A ball of flame appeared before the demon’s finger, and Aurora squealed. She quickly brought her hands down in reflex. She ended up falling in an awkward crouching position. She raised her head just in time to see the ball of flame soaring towards her. The burning heat from the fire sent a familiar sense of fear through her. Once again, she was immobilized with dread.

Just as the flame was about to collide with her, another ball of flame soared through the air. The two orbs of fire nullified each other, leaving a faint black trail of smoke in the air. Aurora’s wide eyes met Adrian’s irritated ones. The irritation was not directed at her. Lirithia turned around, her eyes flashing.

“Don’t interfere,” she said, emphasizing on each word. “You know what will happen if you do, don’t you?”

Adrian’s fists shook, and his body tensed. He shut his eyes and breathed deeply. His body relaxed, and his eyes appeared blank. Aurora got up to her feet, her own eyes burning with determination. A slow smile spread across Lirithia’s face.

“Human, show me what you got.”

Aurora picked up the curved blade. While one edge was sharp enough to cut through anything, the other was blunt. Aurora tested the blunt edge. The weapon dug into her palm enough to hurt but not enough to draw blood. The blade lacked any handle. It was like using a piece of broken shard of metal from a sword to fight. Aurora looked back up. She did not have any weapon, and this was better than nothing.

Lirithia did not even bother dodging as Aurora charged at her. Her slit-like pupils gazed at her with mockery. Aurora swiped the blade at her. She brought her palm up. Her eyes widened when the blade cut through her flesh. Aurora brought her knees up. It connected with her gut, sending her stumbling back. Aurora brought the blade down. She pushed her feelings away. She promised herself not to attack any vital spot. Lirithia rolled out of the way, her crimson eyes flaring in disbelief. Aurora pulled the blade out of the ground just in time to block another fireball.

Aurora bolted up, feeling a rush of adrenaline. Her body somehow felt lighter and much easier to control. She realized with a jolt that this felt natural. Fighting, something she had never done in her life, felt as natural as breathing to her. She was like a caged bird experiencing flying through the wide sky for the first time.

Lirithia was forced to use the metal rod as she too did not have a weapon. The two weapons collided with a loud clang. Aurora bit down hard as the blunt edge of the blade cut into her skin. A droplet of blood, following the curves of her wrist, rolled down her pale skin. Lirithia smiled in triumph, and Aurora found herself being pushed back. It was a losing fight. A human’s strength could never be compared to that of a demon’s. More droplets of blood dripped down, staining the ground beneath her in red.

“Aurora, if you give up right now, Adrian will not be hurt,” Lirithia whispered soft enough that only Aurora was able to hear it.

“What are you trying to say?”

“Give up, before he gets attached to you. I don’t want him to go through losing someone again.”

Aurora saw her eyes darken. There was a burst of energy and fiery hot flame shot towards her. The intense heat wrapped itself around her, and Aurora dropped the blade. She doubled over, gasping for breath. She screamed, feeling her body being set on fire. A strange bolt of pain racked down her back. Sweat covered her forehead, and she felt warm liquid tricking down her back. Bones cracked. It took her a moment to realize that those were hers cracking.