*Chapter Twenty-Seven*

Aurora tilted her head back, letting the water from a mini waterfall to flow gently down her face and body. The water stopped just above her chest, and it was the perfect temperature. The bright moon shone particularly bright, illuminating everything around her. Her mind wandered as she enjoyed the feeling of the water caressing –

Aurora groaned aloud.

She buried her face in her hand, the image of kiss replaying itself over and over again in her head. Aurora did everything in her power, from counting the sheep to singing loudly in her head. Nothing worked or the feeling of his lips on hers to go away. Right now, even the most relaxing thing failed to distract her mind.

“I can’t face him.”

Thankfully, right after that awkward incident, the two split up to search for food. They then ate in silence, and Aurora said she needed to have a bath. Now that she’d been here for almost an hour, Aurora knew she couldn’t avoid him any longer than this. It was just a matter of time.

“I can’t,” she moaned, sinking lower into the water.

She caught the reflection of a small ball of flame soaring high up into the sky, and she glanced up. That was probably Adrian calling her. She scowled. He was going to give their positions away. Walking as slowly as she could, she trudged up and wore her clothes. She ignored the dampness of the clothes sticking to her body. That was the least of her concerns. She wondered if she should just stay here and be the coward she was instead of going back to face him.

It wasn’t like she’d never been kissed. Really, that was impossible considering how many years she’d been alive. Frankly, she was scared. Aurora had never felt this way before. She shook her head. It seemed like she was forgetting her original purpose.

The only reason she came here was to find out about the deal he made with her. She hated owing people, especially when it involved something so big. Aurora ran her hand through her wet black hair, thinking how much she got sidetracked ever since coming here.

She stiffened, feeling something cold and sharp being pressed against the back of her neck. She cursed herself for being this distracted.

“I heard you can’t die.”

Aurora’s eyes widened. The voice sounded like it belonged to a child, which was impossible. She tried her best to keep her voice calm and light.

“Really? Where did you hear that from?”

The sharp and cold object plunged into the back, and whoever it was muffled her scream by covering her mouth. A strange numbness spread through her body, and Aurora lay prostrated on the ground.

“Amazing, the wound is already healing.”

Aurora gasped for breath. Even though she couldn’t die, she was not immune to pain. No one would ever fancy being stabbed in the back. Her vision became dizzy, and she struggled to move. She could feel the blood trickling – no, pouring – out of the wound.

“Let’s see. What if I use this?”

Aurora twisted her head around. It was a boy, and he looked no older than ten. He held a strange sphere with three skeletal curved bones shooting out of it. Aurora recoiled from the crazed look in his eyes. Strangely, her power didn’t seem to work on him. He raised the sphere up into the air with the sharp edge of the metallic bones pointed at Aurora and grinned. Aurora searched around her mind frantically for something, anything, to block the attack. She knew she wouldn’t be able to heal a wound caused by that. Hell, if her regeneration wouldn’t work, there was no doubt she would die.