Day 2: Vigenere

- Ronnie's Perspective -

"JP, we've apprehended the suspect." I say.

"Which one?" He asks.

"The rebel that got into the Capitol." I say. "He's detained."

"Great." JP says. "Let's go get to know this guy."

We walk through the long hallway before swiping our cards at a door. We walk inside, and there's President Snow.

"So, this is him?" JP asks.

"Yup." She says. "This is Vigenere. He was one of the ones sending messages."

"You know your encoding techniques suck, right?" I say. "It was easy."

"Fuck you." He says. "That won't matter soon."

"What?" JP asks. "Elaborate."

"The 75th Hunger Games." He says. "That's all."

"Bring in a guy to torture him for a bit." I ask JP. "Let's discuss this."

     We walk out of the room as a peacekeeper walks in. I can just make out his muffled screams before Snow closes the door behind us, and we sit down at the rounded table.

     "So." She says, pouring a glass of wine. "The 75th Hunger Games."

     "That was when the arena was destroyed." I say. "The 2nd Revolution."

     "Yes." JP says. "But destroying these arenas are impossible now."

     "I wasn't there for development of this year's system." I say. "Could you explain?"

     "Yes." JP says. "Me and Caden, the past game maker, designed it before he disappeared. This year uses the lightning tree as a way to remember the 2nd Revolution arena."

     "Keep going." Snow says.

     "The old arena had the flaw of using electricity straight from the field to strike the tree. It diverted power from the rest of the shield, leading to the overloading of power on the weaker part of the shield due to the lightning." He says. "Do you follow?"

     "Sorta." I say, slightly confused.

     "That was the 75th's System." He says. "This System uses a metal rod to convey the power to the tree. A force field surrounds that while its inactive, and only opens when it plans to strike the tree."

     "So it's only vulnerable at Midnight?" I ask.

     "Precisely." JP says. "Along with that, all of the ranged weapons in these games cannot damage the metal rod. I call it the Spindle, by the way."

     "So this arena is indestructible?" Snow asks.

     "100%." JP says. "That is correct."

"Good." She says. "I expect nothing less."

- Tender Lin's Perspective -