The Training Week, Part 2

- Damien Rodriguez's Perspective -

     "And there was this Career named Cora, she went off on a 12 year old!" Gwyn says over dinner. "In training!"

     "Seems like they're crazy." Our mentor, Bruce says. "But also extremely lethal. Don't let yourselves get caught by them. What did you do today, Damien?"

     "Oh, you know, some defense stations." I say, eating a piece of steak.

     "I presume with your shield?" He asks.

     "Yeah." I respond. "Gwyn, can I talk to you in private?"

"Uh, sure." She says awkwardly, and Bruce looks at me in confusion. We walk into my room, and I shut my door.

"I need you to promise me something." I ask. "Will you refrain from killing me if you happen to find me?"

     "Why?" She asks.

     "I have a plan that will help all of us." I say. "Just please don't."

     nellouse1 Do you accept or deny his request?

- Ronnie Walker (Head Gamemaker) Perspective -

     "This isn't good." I say, motioning for my assistant game maker, JP, to come over and look.

     "What's going on?" He asks.

      "Remember how the District 3 Male was a Resistance officer?" I ask.

     "Yeah, what about him?" He asks.

     "Look here." I say, pointing to my tablet. "His room tablet is running an external program. He doesn't know we can see it."

     "What are these?" He asks, pointing to two envelope icons.

     "Those are two messages. One was sent from an undisclosed location, and the second was a response. They seem to be encoded in a cipher of some sort." I say, and JP looks at me stunned. "We are... unable to crack the codes, as we don't know which cipher is used for these messages."

     "You should find out." I hear a voice say from behind us. It's President Snow's Granddaughter. Now that Snow has passed, she's the new President.

     "We're trying, but we just do not have the ciphers available." I say. She walks down and looks at the messages.

"Then make sure he dies in the arena." She says, before holding a knife towards me. "Wouldn't want a repeat of Seneca Crane, now would we?"

"No, Ma'am." I say, and she smiles smugly.

"Great." She says, walking out of the room. "Oh yeah, I forgot. Go to the arena room. There's a present there for you two."

- Kade Whem's Perspective -

"I'd say that went well." I say to Cora, setting down my Chain Sickles. "You established dominance."

"It wasn't that." She says. "It was supposed to be a publicity stunt. You know, something for them to remember me by."