Chapter Nine

The rest of the week flew by. Not literally, of course, but on Monday the week looked so long and terribly boring. In the end, though, after all the papers had been turned in and the tests had been taken, it felt like it had only been a day.

       Today was Saturday, and I was going out with Kyle. No, I wasn't going on a date with him or anything- though I wished I was- we were just going roller skating. After roller skating we would go to a little diner where I would buy both of us lunch, seeing as Kyle has paid for me way to many times. 

       Since I had waken up at six in the morning due to nightmares, I had watched two hours of Netflix and then I wrote about my past and things that I had held in for far to long. I had written down things that I hadn't told anyone, that even though I had written them down as they were happening were now written down differently. It was now how I looked back on it, what I would have done differently.

       Would I have followed my friends out into the woods that evening because they wanted to see what was going on? Definitely not. I would have ran in the opposite direction, stayed home with my family. That would have changed the outcome of things dramatically, I'm sure.

       I also doubted that I would have stuck around with my friends for so long if I had known the outcome. If I had known that we were the people everyone in the city saw as the stuck up rich kids, even though we clearly weren't. Well I wasn't. Sure, my family had plenty of money and we lived in a huge house and all that, but I wasn't rich. My parents were. 

       Most people had gotten into places where they envied my friends parents because they were rich. They were even jealous of my parents, even though there was no real reason to be. They worked every day of their lives, just like everyone else. It wasn't their fault that their education and job choices (a doctor and a pharmacist) had made them a lot of money in their life time. Most of which they had put away, though they did spend a lot of it.

       So I guess we were the rich kids in town. We weren't treated like it, though. Yes, people tended to hang out with us more, but I hadn't thought it was because we had money or anything like that. We were just nice people.

       Back then, anyways. Now I didn't really think that my old friend were that kind, though everyone else still flocked to them like lost puppies that got separated from their mom.

       Writing about my past helped, seeing as I had no one I could talk to about it yet. I still wasn't ready to tell Kyle, and I might not ever be. He was fine with that, though.

       Finally, a hour before Kyle was supposed to come get me, I started getting ready. I didn't put on any makeup, seeing as I didn't want to seem like I was trying to hard, and I got dressed in a pair a jeans and short sleeve plain black shirt. I pulled my hair to the side and I braided it, securing the braid in with a hair tie before I went to put on my pair of converse. I still had about twenty minutes before Kyle would arrive, though, so I decided to go onto YouTube and watch some Jenna Marbles videos.

       Exactly at noon, the doorbell rang and I sprang off my bed, my phone clutched in my hand. Please don't let my parents get there first, please don't. That was what I was repeating in my head as I raced down the stairs.

       Thankfully, I got to the door first and I opened it, stepping out quickly.

       The first signs of fall were starting to spring up; the change in air temperature and the slight change in the coloring of the leaves. The air was crisp as I stepped outside, waking me up completely and knocking away the tired feeling I had.

       "Hey," I said, smiling at Kyle as we locked hands and made our way towards his car.

       "Hey. Do you want to go to have lunch first, or do you want to go roller skating first?" Kyle asked me, but before I could respond my stomach rumbled. "I'll take that as lunch first, roller skating after."