۵ 5 ۵ (UPDATED /2021)

Africa read a message she wrote in her journal when she was in college. The insert always kept her grounded when she thought of doing trifling shit.

JOURNAL ENTRY 09/25/2011

For hundreds of years, African women were forced to be the glue that held their families and their communities together. Most other races assume that all black women are loud, uneducated, and aggressive. Let's take a little run through history.

African slaves arrived in the Americas roughly around the 1600's. They didn't just show up in Virginia on vacation. They were packed in slave ships which carried between 250 and 600 living human beings. These people were snatched from their villages and packed like spoons in ships with no room to move. They were allowed to come up at mid-day for some light exercise and then were taken back into the belly of the beast in which they were transported for several months. They were shackled to one another in the dark, dirty, sick-smelling belly of a ship. There were no windows to give them much needed fresh air and Vitamin D that came from sunshine. These sad souls were chained together and often force-fed gruel or other food that was simply designed to make sure as many of them as possible survived the trip from Africa and Europe to the Americas.

African women and children were allowed a little more freedom. This small measure of freedom came at a high price. African women and children were raped and abused for the pleasure of the Caucasian sailors who were transporting them from the safety and freedom of their villages to a life of molestation and servitude as a slave. Once these ships docked, the human cargo was cleaned like cattle and then taken to stockyards to be sold.

African women were separated from their mates and often their children. Even if a child was still on the tit, if a slave owner only wanted the mother, her child was ripped from her loving arms to be sent only to God knows where. This was a practice from the beginning of slavery in the 1600's to the abolishment of it in the late 1800's.

Of course, the dates and facts of slavery vary slightly from one source to another, but the overall truth is that African American families have been ripped apart and fractured from the beginning of slavery and still experience the remnants of that methodology of slavery today. Slave women were forced to serve. They were forced to accept their situation regardless of what that situation was.

African women knew that their mates could be stripped away from them at any moment. They had no control over their love lives. No control over their children. No control over their bodies. For more than 250 years, black women were trained that they had no value and that anything could happen to them. They simply learned to survive. They cried when the master pulled them to the side and raped them any way, he saw fit. The master. The master's son. The white and black handlers. These people exercised control over a black woman's and how she lived her life.

When people ask why a black woman is angry, that person doesn't take into consideration that even though slavery is over, some of the basic beliefs and tenets of slavery are still alive and well. A black woman has no idea when she will lose her mate. She can humble herself and give a mate everything to show that she is there for him, and still find that it's not enough. A black woman can uphold her black man like a king and find that she as his "queen" has been usurped and overthrown at any time.

Being a black woman in America consist of learning how to endure unbearable social pressure. Being told by every form of media that black is bad and white is beautiful or pure. Being a black woman in America consist of coming to the understanding that no matter how hard you work or how much education you have, you will never be assigned your true value by society.

A black woman has to get a big pair of balls and put on her big girl pants. She has to learn how to set her mouth a certain way as if to say, "Don't mess with me". A black woman has to learn how to say "I'm beautiful" no matter how many times people open their mouths to say she is ugly. This is the true experience of a black woman in the USA.

The general consensus is that a black woman is never good enough or equal to her lighter counterparts. Let's not forget how hard it is for a dark-skinned sister to stand in the midst of colorism. We could go all the way back to slavery again and find the roots of colorism. Because many of the light skinned slaves were actually the offspring of the slave masters and the so-called animals, they were fond of raping, slave masters treated their bastard children better than even their slave parents. The light-skinned slaves were the bi-racial results of what usually started out as rape. When a black woman realized that her life may be better if she gave her master what he wanted, the whole fucked up trend of colorism began.

Why would a black woman want to be out in the fields with the heat of the sun burning and cooking her skin, when all she had to do was make her master feel special. A slave who became the slave master's mistress was often moved into a better room, which was separate from what the other slaves had. That slave was provided with some modicum of civility. She had nice clean clothes, better food, and better living conditions. All she had to do was be ready for the master when he wanted to come in and dick her down. Even if she had a mate, he had no control over the access the master wielded over his woman's body.

With that very brief overview of African American history, slavery, the demolition of the black family, and the schism which was firmly implanted into the black subconscious about black people and being black, it's a wonder that black men and black women can even bear to be in one another's presence.

Historically and systematically black people have been taught that black bonds mean nothing and that black wounds are not the concerns of their counterparts in this world. The problem and the solution lie in how we choose to love one another.

If anyone wonders why black men and black women are slowly but surely finding partners outside their race, take a little trip back to slavery and there are so many answers to the lack of love and respect experienced between the two in modern times. Two hundred and fifty years is a long time to imprint negative societal beliefs on a group of people. Of course, there are those who will argue against this view because no one wants to admit that the family dynamic of blacks has been severely impaired by slavery, Jim Crow laws of the south, and the subliminal black fear and hate message of the nation. Black people were stripped of their identity and love for being black. The result of their loss exhibits itself in anger and frustration which is expressed mainly against one another.

Black women desire, need, and want every positive emotion and benefit of being an American. When that is denied or stifled, their anger and frustration is what people see. Society makes the unfair assessments which allow black women to be denied the full credit they deserve for the many contributions they make to this nation.

Black women are not angry. They are deprived.

Black women are the most invisible people in America. That's the reason black women are forced to speak louder. They are forced to sing better. They are forced to work harder. They are forced to give more. Finally, they are forced to love deeper.

Black women are forced to do so much more and when they don't gain a just return on their investments, they are labeled as being aggressive, mean, and rude.

Black women are not aggressive, angry, mean, or rude. They are deprived.

*****