1 - so

CHARLOTTE

I put my pen down and shake my hand in hope to relieve it of the cramp that had suffocated it's way around my wrist.

"Are you doing more uni work?" My best friend, Tiara, scoffs as she lays on the sofa to my apartment, typing quickly on her phone.

"Yes, I'm doing my coursework," I roll my eyes and then around in my office chair. She glances over to me from her phone before looking back at it and typing away rapidly.

"So it's Valentines Day today," she smiles over to me and I raise an eyebrow. I knew my best friend too well, she was definitely going to try and get me to do something other than my work. "And since neither of us have a boyfriend, I suggest we go out tonight."

The thought of partying or clubbing goes through my mind and I flinch at the thought of the hangover I would experience the day after.

"Don't give me that look," she sighs dramatically and sits up on the sofa, looking over at me. "You need a break from your job and uni. Please come! You can meet a new girl—"

"Tiara, I've told you so many times that I'm not a lesbian," I interrupt and she scoffs once more.

She was convinced I liked girls and that I was bisexual since I hadn't had a boyfriend all throughout school. It didn't help that my first kiss was a girl called Lucy since I got dared to kiss her in year nine.

"Fine, whatever," she continues. "You don't even know what I was going to say."

"Either way you're not going to be able to convince me," I dismiss her and she raises her eyebrows, prepared to challenge me.

"Cory is holding a party," she says, instantly grabbing my attention. Cory was my crush for a few years and we hadn't spoke since we left college. "It's at his house and he invited us. We can get drunk and have fun—who knows, you might even have sex finally."

The offer was tempting, considering I hadn't seen Cory nor been to a party in a while. Plus, it was Valentine's Day: what could I be doing other than feeling sad that I'm lonely?

It was Thursday tomorrow, too, so I had no college so I could recover from my hangover stress free, not worrying about university.

"Fine, I'll go to the party," I roll my eyes and she gives me a triumphant squeal. I definitely gave in too easily. "What time are we leaving?"

Currently, it was twenty past seven in the evening and I was sat in my pyjamas and Tiara was in some skinny jeans and a crop top.

"An hour?" She suggests. "Can I use some of your clothes, too?"

I nod, despite the fact most of my clothes might be too big for her petite frame. We spend an hour doing our make up, gossiping and trying on dresses.

A short, red dress pressed tightly against my skin, matching the cherry red lipstick that I wore on my lips. If the party was a bust, I at least wanted to look the part.

I order us both an Uber and put my phone in Tiara's small bag, since I didn't want to carry one around myself.

Tiara was more of the social butterfly and would no doubt know everyone at the party, while I'll know no one. I'll have to down a few drinks to begin to let go and feel more free before I start talking and dancing.

The ride to Cory's house involved some pre-drinks with some vodka and coke that Tiara had found in my cupboards, probably untouched for months as I prioritised University over drinking.

"If you can't find me," Tiara hiccups as I thank the Uber driver who pulled up to the large house that belonged to Cory. "Then just go home. Ask for some spare cash. Don't try and find me."