Chapter one

India's pov

It was late and I had just won my swim competition. I was excited yet my body ached and I destined to be home. I was a very active person. From boxing classes in the morning to dance in the afternoon and swimming at night, my body was always sore. But I was use to pain it seemed to never hurt that much after a while.

I was born and raised here in Miami Florida. I never really knew anywhere else. I was the only child and my mother being a single mom was barely home. I didn't complain though. She was doing what she had to do to out a roof over my head and food in my mouth. I clutched my backpack as I walked the empty quiet sidewalk. I felt like I was bring watched. But noons was there. St least not in my eyesview.

I kept walkingu until I reached the safety of my home. "Ma!" I yelled dropping my backpack on the counter. I was greeted with no answer. I sighed getting in the shower putting on some spandex shorts and a top.

I heard a door slam down stairs. "Mama is that you?" I say going down the steps and there was my mama rubbing her sore feet."I'll run you a bath" I said.

"No baby im just a little tired I think I'll crash here tonight" she said getting comfy. I nodded rubbing her shoulders and then planting a soft kiss on her cheek. "I'll take your shift tomorrow Mama you won't have to go to the diner" I whispered.

"Bab-

"No ma, you need to sleep. You have done enough for me" I said patting her soft curly hair. She smiled as her eyes fluttered closed.

[morning]

I yawned hurrying quickly to take a shower so I could get ready to go work at the diner or like regular people called it "ihop".
I usually worked as a waiter when I took over my moms shift so it wasn't that stressing especially when my customers were kids. I loved kids.

I didn't really have a dress code since I only worked there when i knew my mom wasn't physically able to which was rarely so I dressed up in some flannel outfit.

After I put some batiste dry shampoo in my hair and kissed my mama on the forehead. She was still knocked out cold so I let her sleep. I was greeted by the hot Florida morning sun. I smiled in content at the weather. I walked the five blocks to ihop. "Ohh Hola " the owner ms. Diaz said as I entered.
I hugged her she smelled of cinnamon and warm cookies.

"Your name tag is over there" she pointed to a pin. I nodded going to take it. I waited patiently for her to tell me the first table to assist. "TABLE FIVE! She yelled. I jumped up putting my hair into a ponytail as I made my way to a family of three. A husband and wife and a baby in a high chair.

She babbled cutely. "Hello welcome to ihop how may I help you?" I said smiling. As they ordered the baby began to cry. The woman furrowed her eyebrows and frowned. "Sorry she's been like this all morning. I could tell she was frustrated so I put my notepad down. "May I?"

She nodded desperately. I picked up the baby. "Hi honey." I cooed rocking her. She sniffled. "Mama's strong little girl going to tackle the world. Gets everything her heart desires she is the fuel to the fire" I sang to her. She stopped crying. The mom clapped.

"Thank you! Your voice is beautiful " she exclaimed. I smiled thanking her as I gave her the baby back. That song brought back so many childhood memories of when my dad use to abuse us and my mom use to hide me in the cabinet and sing to me. I sighed.

I brought the family their food and waited for a next table. I could tell today was going to be boring. I decided to play Ms. Diaz favorite song.

"Despacito" she sang twirling her spatula. I laughed. "Table one" she smiled at me. I briskly walked to table one. There were three boys there. They all were fine but one of them interested me.

"Hi" I said to them all. "Aye what's up. Imma have a chocolate pancake" one said with a durag.

I laughed "a pancake or pancakes" I said. He rubbed his chin as the interesting one smacked his head. "He will get pancakes" the curly head one said. I laughed.

"So you want the same?" I asked the curly head one. "Yes WiFi wants everything" he exclaimed. I wrote what he wanted in my notepad. The interesting one stared at me. I stared back. When he licked his lips I dropped my pencil.

"Damn X you got people dropping their writing utensils and shit" the durag one said. "Imma have a steak. And can I have a glass of you" He said.

"Oh um I'm not on the menu" I said picking up my pencil. "Oh is that so" he said his eyes scanning over my body. He made me feel uncomfortable in a strange but comfortable way.

"Chica! Stop staring at the boy and bring them the food." Ms.Diaz said.

I gasped "I was not staring "

"Were to" the durag said.

I glared at him. Then I made my way to get their order. I set their plates in front of them but making sure to do durag boy last.

He gave me a dirty look and I rolled my eyes.

Twenty minutes later they had left the interesting one lingering at the table writing something down on the check paper. Then he saw me and smirked. I went to collect the check. There was a tip of 300 dollars. My eyes widened.

Then there was a note.

Buy yourself something nice, bet you'd look good in anything though. Or nothing...
-X

I laughed. Cheeky little shit.

Sooooo how'd y'all like it?

Imma start writing more I just needa sleep on it. It's been a months now 😢. I miss my baby boy.

Anyways love y'all ❤️❤️❤️