Michael and Patsy serve the guests

It was a dreary, rainy day, only a few weeks before Lizzie's debutant ball. Michael held Lizzie close to him above the spread, listening to the sound of the rain. Lizzie still would not tell him that she would join him in his escape.

She talked excitedly about the ball, despite her shock and disappointment over Josiah’s upcoming post as patroller, her misgivings about Derrick helping her run the plantation, and her regret that Michael could not also be at the ball with the rest.

He felt tearful as he lay there listening to the rain and holding her close to him. It seemed it wouldn’t be long before he lost the thing that meant the most in the world to him. He stroked her frizzy hair as they lay fully clothed. It seemed Lizzie would never be his wife. He would never truly know her the way his parents had known each other. Not the way he longed to know her!

“Lizzie,” he began, not really knowing what to say.

“Hmm, hmm?” She answered, hoping to hear good things from him.

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Michael!” She replied with certainty.

“Do you remember when I told you about sex?”

“It sounded strange to me then.”

“Would you like to try it with me?”

“A lady…” She began hesitantly, cutting herself off.

“It will be alright.” He wanted to at least know her, if there was really such a small chance of her marrying him. He knew Patsy’s deed had rendered her infertile, so there would be no pregnancy to give them away.

 "I'd never be a lady again...and it might hurt."

“It might,” he answered honestly, “but its supposed to be wonderful too. I wish you and I could try it.”

He felt her body stiffen, and pull away from him, if only a little bit, so that she was lying behind an imaginary wall.

He felt hurt by the rebuff. He turned and looked out the window, watching the raindrops falling on the sill, and splattering on the tree leaves. He stared for awhile, before Lizzie came behind him, holding him in the long c-curve of her body.

He softened a bit and felt comforted, nestled in her warmth. He pulled her arms further around himself, still listening with rapt attention to the rain. 

“Michael?” She whispered close to his ear. He had to pull away a little, the sound was so loud to him. 

“Lizzie,--"

“I love you, Michael!  I wish you wouldn't be mad at me! I have to save that for when I’m married!”

“But you aren’t marrying me, and I love you!"