Michael and Lizzie Dream of Africa

“That’s not what I meant, Michael!” Lizzie shouted.

“What did you mean, then?” He challenged. They were standing in her bedroom, the door locked behind them. Patsy had gone with Mr. Henderson to town to sell some of their cotton, and take care of some other business, so it was just the two of them. Lizzie had just told Michael that she didn’t want to move to Africa and that he might as well stop considering the idea. He had responded by letting her know that he was a free man, and would go anywhere he chose.

“I just meant that I won’t be moving to Africa, Michael…I’d, I’d be totally surrounded! You can go to Africa if you want, once you’re free; I won’t stop you! But I won’t follow you there either!”

“So you won’t be surrounded by people who look like me? Where do you think the people who work the fields of this plantation come from?! They come from Africa! And white plantation owners who rape their slaves, of course!”

“Michael! How awful! I know I happens, but why do you have to bring that up?”

“Because it happens, Lizzie! It’s the truth!”

“So what if it is? It doesn’t happen here! Father would never dream of that!”

“No!? But he wouldn’t stop it either, would he?” Michael queried, thinking bitterly of Scarlett and the others who had been violated by Mr. Stack.

“What do you mean? Of course father would stop it! It’s never happened here and it never will! There are standards here, Michael! You know that! Father’s slaves are treated well, Michael. They would never have to worry about getting raped or sold on this plantation!”

“Yes, right. This perfect, dream plantation! What a wonderful life to be able to work out in the hot sun all day long! I’m sure everybody just loves it, don’t they? I’m sure they wish they didn’t have to stop work on Sunday, don’t they? I bet they wish it was non-stop, don’t they?”

“Stop it, Michael! I know its slavery, already! You don’t have to tell me about it, Michael! But I shouldn’t have to feel bad about it should I? Why are you doing this?”

Lizzie’s tone was petulant; She sounded like a child to Michael. He reminded himself that he had already decided against sharing Scarlett’s plight with Lizzie. At least the rape had stopped already.

“I don’t know, Lizzie. I’m just saying that sometimes things aren’t as perfect as they seem! Sometimes decisions have to be made; and things can’t be the way they were before?”

“What do you mean, Michael? Tell me what you’re talking about, please!”

“I don’t know, Lizzie. I mean, what can I do?” He asked himself as much as her. He was having nightmares about Niambe; He was failing everyday to protect the women of his plantation. Not yet, but someday, it would be his. He would change things then, send Mr. Stack away, and free all the slaves that wanted to be free. Slaves like Scarlett and Patsy. Those who were too old or who didn’t want to leave for some other reason, he would allow to stay and help him make the land productive.