Derrick receives a warning from Michael

It was a beautiful Summer Day. Derrick rode his horse along the road to Lizzie’s plantation. On the way, he saw the sunny yellow dandy lions peeking out from the white railings of the fence on Mr. Cutler’s property. He remembered how much Lizzie loved the common wildflowers. She was never quite as impressed by the flowers he brought from his mother’s garden as he was by the dandy lions he pulled up on the side of the road. Albemarle pawed his foot impatiently and tossed his mane back, annoyed by the bit in his mouth. The sooner they made it to the plantation, the sooner he could be freed of his tack, and left to drink and graze.

Derrick swung his legs over the fence and went to look on the other side; He had spotted some other wildflowers; he was sure Lizzie would like these, too. He quickly added the spikey purple flowers to the bouquet and tied it with the ribbon he had brought. He hoped to make it to Lizzie’s before they began to droop.

He quickly got back on Albemarle and settled his hat back on his head where it had begun to droop to one side. He put the bouquet far down into his jacket pocket, where it would not fall off. He then took the reins in both hands and guided the pony into a trot. Derrick had still not made it to his father’s height. He was a somewhat slight lad of 5’3’’, just an inch below Lizzie. Today, he was wearing high heeled boots. A gentleman should be taller than his lady, he figured. He was wearing leather riding breeches and a fine long white shirt, and a long leather jacket, despite the hot weather. It was not hot weather, but cold that bothered him. He had a slight build, and fine features. He had blue eyes, and light brown hair. He knew he looked good, and hoped that he looked good enough to impress Lizzie.

Derrick arrived at the porch of Lizzie’s house in fine spirits. There, standing in the yard, was Michael. Michael. It was a bit of a shock to see him. Michael had not often been with Lizzie lately when she had visited him, and Derrick realized, when Michael had been there, it was as if he had decided to become a part of the scenery. After a few minutes, Derrick had laughed and joked with Lizzie as if Michael were not even there. But here he was in the foreground. Right in front of the house, just standing there, as if somehow he had known Derrick were on his way.

“Um, hello, Michael.” Derrick said. He felt awkward, and wasn’t entirely pleased to see Michael standing in front of the house, looking so much at home, meeting his gaze levelly, as if they were equals. As if Michael were no slave, but a member of the family.

“Hello, Derrick. Lizzie will be glad to see you.” He was not entirely glad to see Derrick himself. He felt wary of Derrick and protective towards Lizzie. But he knew he was telling Derrick the truth.

“Yes, Michael. Let’s hope so.” He was standing on the ground with the reins in one hand. Had the stableman been here, he would have handed the reins to him to take care of the horse during his visit. He started to walk towards Michael. No Michael would probably take offense at that. He was confused; it wasn’t his plantation. Should he walk the horse to the stable himself?

“I’ll take him off your hands, Derrick, if you like,” Michael came forward to take the reins from him, “Lizzie will be waiting for you, but I must talk to you first; Come with me to the stables.”

What was this? A slave was telling him he must listen to him! Derrick was indignant, but he realized he needed to control himself. It could be important, judging from the look in Michael’s eyes. And he did not want to offend Michael, or Lizzie. She already thought he had been terribly wrong in having Michael whipped, and perhaps he had. He felt a twinge of regret even now. Michael took Lizzie’s welfare seriously, at least, he could tell that. Michael had been a good protector to her. Hopefully, if things went well between them, he could take Lizzie off Michael’s hands forever, and Michael could be assigned to some other duty.

“I’ll come with you, Michael.” He consented, and walked side by side with Michael towards the stables.

“Lizzie is still young, Derrick. She doesn’t really know what she wants.”

“What do you mean by saying this Michael.”

“Derrick, she isn’t ready to put on that corset yet. She isn’t ready to be a woman, yet.”

“I know that, Michael. But I heard Patsy say she’ll be having her first ball later this year…I’ll be there, you know.” He added. He wanted Michael to know his intent.

“I know, Derrick. I’m reminding you that you need to be patient with her…Patsy is bribing her with the ball to get her into that corset, Derrick. Otherwise, Lizzie might never put it on.”

“Yes…but she must, Michael! Ladies must wear them, Michael.”

“Derrick, it isn’t the corset I’m objecting to. Lizzie is growing up too fast. She isn’t ready for a ball and what it means. To her, its just a fun party to invite all her friends to.”

Derrick looked at Michael questioningly. What exactly was Michael trying to tell him? Hadn’t Lizzie let him kiss her by the creek? Surely he was just a bit more than a friend to her now! He suddenly felt a little unsure of himself, and a little betrayed, too. Was Lizzie unwilling to tell him herself that the kiss had meant nothing, that it had just been a chance occurrence, or an experiment between friends? He felt as though he should take the reins and ride back for home.

“Derrick? Are you well? Can I help you with anything?”

“No, I’m fine, Michael. Perhaps I should go.”

“Derrick, I think Lizzie would be disappointed by that. She needs your friendship. She is just a girl though, Derrick.”

“Well…” Was it true? Should he still be regarding Lizzie that way? Wasn’t her ball coming up? But Michael was trying to tell him the ball didn’t mean what it should mean, wasn’t he? “Are you trying to say Lizzie isn’t ready to be married, yet?”

“That’s what I meant…and six months won’t any change any of that.”

“Oh, perhaps you’re right. She will need a husband though, someday, won’t she?” He questioned.

What could Michael say without giving away his own feelings?

“I suppose she will, Derrick.”

“Well, then, I’ll be at her ball, and when she decides, I’ll have a chance at least.”

Michael nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Your horse will be here when you’re ready for him, Derrick.”

Ordinarily, he would not always thank a slave, but in this case, it would be prudent to do so.

“Thank you, Michael.” He was eager to see Lizzie, and share the latest book he had discovered with her.