To the Swimming Hole w/ Josiah

he Summer was drawing to a close. Lizzie's legs had taken longer in healing than they had expected, and she had spent most of the Summer reading in her room, or propped up in a rocking chair on the porch. She had looked forward to the occasional visitors, such as her cousin, the abolitionist from up North, and the tutor who came back through for a few days of lectures in the middle of his yearly Summer vacation. And of course, Derrick had visited almost every day at first, and then, at least a few times a week, It had not been a bad Summer, but still, they had not been to the pond. Lizzie's father had insisted that she spend her first two weeks without a cast on the property. He didn't want her going anywhere in a weakened state where she would have little defense were she to run into trouble or get attacked. He had insisted that she and Michael content themselves with walking around the stables, and in the garden, and if Derrick or Josiah came, then the three of them were allowed in the woods. Lizzie obeyed her father's instructions, mainly because they did seem reasonable to her, and after being inside most of the Summer, even just being on the property outside was a welcome relief. 

Now, the two weeks had just wound up. It was mid-September and starting to grow cool.

"Hey, Lizzie. You're walking pretty well, now. Why don't we go to that spot your father told me about, and start your swimming lessons?"

"It's too cold now, isn't it, Michael?"

"It's getting cool, but at least we could fit in a couple of lessons before it gets too cold. Don't you want to try?"

"Yes,  but..." somehow Lizzie felt reluctant, knowing she had the hole right under her bloomers that had to be covered and hidden. Now that she knew about it, she wasn't sure she wanted anyone, even Michael getting close to it.

"What's wrong? I thought you wanted to learn."

"I do!"

"Well, then, why don't we go? You know I'm a great swimmer; I won't let you drown! Would you feel better with Derrick around, is that it? Do you need both of us to watch you, just to make sure? I could try to talk him into it, if you like."

"No, no! I don't want Derrick. It should just be the two of us. But Michael."

"Yes?"

"What about my hole?"

"Your hole? What do you mean?"

"I mean, the one between my legs! I mean, I'd have to go in my bloomers, wouldn't I?"

"Yes, Lizzie. That's what you wanted to do before. You can't swim in all those skirts, at least not just starting out. You need to be able to move freely. Don't worry about your hole, I just told you so you'd understand where Patsy was coming from. You're still too young to think about it anyway." 

"O.K. I guess we could try it. You already know the place?"

"Yes, your father showed me a month ago. He found the perfect place. You're going to love it, Lizzie!"

"O.K. I guess we should go get the horses." She said reluctantly.

"For Godssakes, Lizzie. Stop worrying about your hole! It's going to be fun!"

"What if someone finds out, Michael? What if someone thinks you're trying to look at my hole, and gets mad at you or me, and I'm not a lady anymore, and then I can't get married and have a baby?"

"I thought you didn't want to get married, Lizzie? I thought you wanted to run around with me and Derrick and Josiah for the rest of your life."

"No, I can't. That's sad. But, Michael, I really, really want a baby, Michael. I want a baby, so I have to get married, right?"