Michael Explains Girl Stuff to Lizzie

Thankfully, there were no arguments as Derrick and Michael cooperated to get Lizzie upstairs to her bedroom, and Michael found her nightclothes, turned down the bed, and started a fire in the fireplace while Derrick supervised, and even handed Michael some wood, being careful, of course, not to make actual contact.

Lizzie felt bone weary once the boys left. At least Derrick didn't seem too concerned that Michael was up walking around. She doubted he would mention anything to his folks about it.

Lizzie had been in bed about a half hour, and was hoping Michael would come back and talk to her. He must be taking care of the horses. Neither of them wanted Silver to go to the stall overnight without a proper rub down. And sometimes Michael liked to do it himself, rather than let the groom. He and Silver shared a special bond.

The door swung open. Patsy was scowling down at her. 

"I found your dress in the washroom, Lizzie! It was all full of mud! And Derrick told me he and Michael helped you up here. Now you had that dress off before you got up here, and I know that. So you let Michael and Derrick help you up to your bedroom with nothing on!"

"I had on my bloomers and camisole! I wasn't naked!"

"You might as well have been! You know that isn't proper! You just got soaking wet last week, and now you're soaking wet and naked again! What do you think you're doing, Lizzie? Who do you think is going to marry you--- if you get a reputation for taking off your clothes every chance you get?"

"I wasn't doing anything! You can ask Derrick! I was soaking wet, and the dress was heavy! I broke both my legs, and it was hard enough getting on the horse without being weighed down by that dress!"

"Lizzie, you ain't my child. But if you were, I'd slap you right now, with or without broken legs! You keep your clothes on, like I told you before. Bad things happen to women who don't keep their clothes on. Trust me, I know!"

Patsy slammed the door, and Lizzie heard her going back down the stairs. So much for having someone to console her. Patsy was being so unfair! She couldn't help it that Michael and Derrick had seen her in her underwear; They weren't going to do anything bad to her! Patsy hadn't even stayed to hear her side of the story.

Lizzie started crying. Why did she have to go around in dresses all the time? It would be so much better to be a boy and get to wear pants!

She heard a knock on the door.

"Are you alright, Lizzie? Did your legs start hurting?"

"Yes, but Michael, it isn't that! Patsy just yelled at me for taking my dress off in front of you and Derrick, and she wouldn't even listen! I never would have made it up on the horse without doing that! I would have had to stay by myself while Derrick went to get help! I didn't want to stay alone in the rain, Michael, It was so spooky there! And besides, why can't I just wear pants like you two anyway? It's not fair!"

"Don't worry. You did the right thing. Even Derrick understood, and you know how much he wants you to be a lady. Patsy will see things differently soon. The important thing is you made it home safely!"