Two by Horseback

Dedicated to mcorona7 for writing  A Friendship's Love (Settler Series). She has written a very believable story with a strong and authentic heroine.

"So what do you want to do today?" Lizie asked, inviting him to make plans for them both.

"I want to go out and meet the slaves."

"But they're busy, Michael."

"Can't they take a break?"

 "But they take care of the crops and the land."

"Well, why can't we?"

"I don't know... We aren't supposed to, and we don't know how."

"I know how. I helped my mother in the garden when I was young. I know how to plant things."

"You do?"

"Yes, certain things anyway. I could do it if I had to."

"Well, I don't think I want to, but I guess you could go try and I could watch."

He was about to take her up on her offer, but something stopped him. He feared if he went into the fields he might never come back to the Big House.

"I think I'd rather do something different. What would you like to do?" 

"I just asked you! It's your turn to decide. I'm giving you a turn because you're my best friend."

"Sure... How about marbles?" He said, deliberately picking a game she had no skill at.

"Well,..I guess we could," she said, hoping he would change his mind.

"Great! Let's play here. I'll get the marbles!" Michael exclaimed. He hadn't realized how thrilling it would be to reverse their roles for a while.

Lizzie allowed him several games before announcing marbles bored her. She sulked after losing the first round, but Michael managed to talk her into two more. He decided to change things up a bit more.

"Well, its good you're bored, because I want some time by myself to read," he announced.

"You do? But we're supposed to spend the day together!"

" Do I have to, mistress? Is that your command?"

"No! I just thought, we always do! I mean, I didn't think you minded." Lizzie twisted a piece of hair around her finger.

"I don't usually, I just feel like reading today if it's alright with you?"

"Yes, that's fine." Lizzie replied, feeling a little hurt and disoriented. Did he really just play with her sometimes because he thought he had no choice? Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for her to have a slave for her best friend. How could she  even be sure he liked her?