Christmas Morning for the Family in South Carolina

I've always loved Christmas! Hope you enjoy this tale of a Christmas morning on a plantation in 1840's South Carolina!

Recap: { In the morning, Lizzie woke up alone and fearful. Michael had had to leave, on the chance that Patsy would discover them lying in the same bed.

She put on her new red corduroy Christmas dress, and took a good look at herself in the mirror. The bright, warm color cheered her. But she was fearful of discovery. She wondered how she would make it through the day without giving away her feelings for Michael. To make things even worse, Derrick would be stopping by later in the afternoon to deliver his present. What would happen if he realized she had spent hours last night kissing and cuddling with Michael, strange sensations pulsing through her body? Keeping this secret was going to take all her will, and all her cunning. And she didn’t want to keep it! She wanted Derrick to know! He ought to know!

Still, it was Christmas! She couldn’t wait to see what her family thought of the presents she had bought for them!}

New Chapter

Lizzie raced down the stairway, then hung back at the bottom,wondering how she would greet her family and Michael normally. She attempted to think of some plan, but nothing came to mind, so she simply went ahead towards the living room. Patsy was coming out of the kitchen at the same time, and hurrying towards the living room.

“Lizzie!”

“Good morning, Patsy.”

“Aren’t you going to have some breakfast first, Lizzie? I’ve got hot biscuits with butter and jam all ready for you. You look like you could use some nourishment.”

“Thank you, Patsy, but I want to be with everyone now. If you don’t mind bringing me a biscuit or two in the living room, I’ll eat them.” She needed to go ahead and face Michael and her father. She didn’t want Patsy fishing around to see what was wrong with her while they were alone together in the kitchen; Patsy could always read her moods, even when she tried hard to conceal them.

“I’ll be right with you, then, Lizzie.” Patsy went back to the kitchen, hurriedly throwing some biscuits on the plate. She was eager to join the family. She had put on a red apron today, in honor of the season, and had a red bow in her hair, like Lizzie.

Lizzie came into the room, frightened of seeing Michael and her father. Her eyes landed first on Michael. He looked concerned and gave her a warm smile. She felt herself smiling back at him, then blushing as the memories of last night crowded out al rational thought in her brain. She wanted to run to him and throw her arms around him.

Instead she walked up to Michael and her father. “Merry Christmas!” She said gaily, focusing on the Christmas decorations. They were beautiful! Michael and Patsy had done a wonderful job! And then there were the touches she had added here and there. She was proud of the velvety red ribbon bows she had worked hard to achieve.

The little spruce Michael and her father had selected from their woods was hung with pine cones dipped in gold paint, and little stick men, wearing yarn caps, to represent Santa’s elves. Then there were the stick reindeer! She remembered back to years ago when Patsy had told her and Michael about what she wanted to do with the Christmas tree. They had both been eager to help Patsy fulfill her plan, and had spent many happy days in the woods nearby, looking for the perfect twigs and branches to represent elves and reindeer. Patsy had knit all the tiny caps for the elves herself. Some of the elves even had tiny mittens and shoes glued to the end of their stick hands and feet! They were so much better than store bought decorations, she thought. And yet, her eyes still gleamed when they fell on the ornaments she had selected when she and her father had taken the train from Charleston to Savannah. She hadn’t been able to decide what to bring back for Patsy and Michael, so she had settled on something they could all enjoy, handblown glass Christmas ornaments. Each clear ball held a different colorful Christmas scene; perhaps her gift had been a bit selfish, because she had been the most excited each year to take the ornaments out of the box and marvel at them hanging on the tree. And she had balled her hands into fists, and been mad enough to hit Michael when he accidentally dropped one and it shattered.