Twenty Seven - DECISIONS

Twenty-Seven -DECISIONS

 May 1717

 The large dinner table covered with white silk linen, fine china, and silverware that sparkled in the brilliant light of a large crystal chandelier hanging overhead.

 Cade Fitzjames sat across the table from Maria. He was wearing another very colorful outfit, at which Maria could not refrain from staring. She tried with all her might to keep herself from smiling, or even laughing. She took a bite of roast beef, more to keep her mouth too busy for conversation. She could not help compare Cade’s wardrobe to what Sam used to wear, or at least what she could remember. Sam was a simple man, with a very masculine approach to fashion. She missed it. She missed Sam. It seemed like a lifetime ago when he first left on his voyage, but at the same time, it felt like it was yesterday.

 She remembered when she and Sam had first met; he was rugged, and rough around the edges, yet handsome, and very kind. He was young and full of dreams and aspirations. This man in front of her was well mannered and experienced. He seemed wise, but somewhat dull—

 “Maria,” her mother said, interrupting her thoughts. “Did you hear a word of what Mr. Fitzjames said?”

 Maria looked at Cade, somehow hoping to extract the answer. “Umm,”

 “Maria your manners are—”

 “That’s quite all right.” Cade said. “My accent gets tiring, even to me.” He smiled at Maria.

 Maria caught herself smiling, and then looked down at her roast.

 “I asked if I could come by tomorrow and walk with you,” Cade said.

 “And I said I thought it was a splendid idea,” her mother added.

 Maria gave her mother a look. “Thank you, Mother.” She took a deep breath and turned back to the Scotsman.

 “Cade, I think you are a fine man, and it has been a pleasure getting acquainted with you, but I can’t… I mean…” she searched for the words she wanted to say but could not find them. “I just can’t. I am sorry.”

 Cade stared at her for a bit, and gave her a halfhearted smile. “No need to apologize, I understand.” He stood up from the table. “I have very much enjoyed the time we have spent together.” He smiled then turned to Maria’s mother. “Thank you for the lovely evening, Mrs. Hallet.” He nodded to her father. “Mr. Hallet.”

 Her father nodded in return. “Thank you for coming.” Mr. Hallet stood and walked their guest to the door.

 Cade stopped before they left the dining room and turned to Maria. “If you change your mind…” He smiled and walked out.

 Maria did not think she had any reason to feel horrible, but she did. She looked at her mother who said nothing, just returned her look with a disappointed one. Maria had never seen her mother react this way; she looked hurt beyond words, and Maria had never once experienced her mother without words. Maria wished, more than ever, that she would say something, but her mother only stared at her with that pained expression.

 Still clinging to etiquette, Mrs. Hallet stood, excused herself from the table, and left the room. Maria sat alone with no parental argument to fight against and no contradictory words from her mother, just good old-fashioned guilt. To Maria, that was the question that bothered her, why guilt? She’d known for some time what she was going to say to Cade in this situation, and she felt no guilt about it, until now. She did not understand it. She sat at the table with her head down. Her father walked back into the dining room. He had his usual stalwart look about him but gave his daughter a slight smile. He sat down next to Maria, taking her hand in his, large, and warm.