Seventeen - THE PURSUIT

Seventeen-THE PURSUIT

 September 1716

 Sam stood at the bow of his new ship acquired from Nigel a few days prior. The incident seemed hazy now, almost like a dream he couldn’t remember fully. The sinking of his ship TheIsle of Lewis, however, he remembered clear as day. His eyes stung from lack of sleep, but the view of the horizon through Paulgrave’s scope was nevertheless constant. It would be another two or three days before he would be able to locate Cyprian, but he was angry and wanted revenge.

  Paulgrave came to Sam’s side. “We have been blessed with agreeable weather.”

 Sam did not look away from his scope. “We’re getting close, Paul. Very close.”

 “What is your plan if you do catch him before La Florida?”

 “I’m going to take one of his ships and sink the other with him in it.” Sam pulled the brass down from his drowsy eye and looked to Paulgrave.

 Paul took the scope. “Well that is a plan.” He scanned the cylindrical horizon.

 Sam rested against the railing. “My plan doesn’t please you?”

 “I couldn’t think of anything I’d rather do.” Paulgrave's countenance soured.

 “Then why the long face?” Sam reached for the scope, but Paulgrave slipped it into his jacket.

 “Sam, why don’t you get some rest? I can lookout for Cyprian.”

 Sam noticed some of the crew looking his way.

 “You need to rest,” Paulgrave said with all sincerity.

 Sam’s eyes felt heavy. “You’re right; I think my right eye is dry as a bone.” He conjured a tired smile then walked away. He stopped and turned back to Paulgrave. “You’ll come get me at the first sighting?”

 “Of course I will.”

 Sam nodded and continued toward his quarters.

 He lay on his bunk in the captain’s chambers, which were significantly smaller than his former quarters. Shaking Cyprian from his mind, he pulled out the pendant Maria had given him. Kissing the pendant, he relaxed and held it tight to his chest, closing his eyes.

                                                                                         ***

 Maria looked ravishing in her pale blue gown with white trim. Her long, blond hair shined as the light reflected off the crystal chandeliers hanging on the ballroom ceiling. When Sam saw her, his heart seemed to skip a beat. She was the most beautiful thing he’d ever laid eyes on. He walked to her, but the more he did the further away she seemed to get.

 The music started, and the dancers picked their partners. Another man had already picked Maria, and a woman he did not know was dragging Sam to the dance floor. Soon after the music began, the dancers switched partners, and then switched again. Sam counted four more switches until he and Maria were together.

 He felt a little nervous, as Maria got closer. She made the final move with her partner and reached out to Sam right when Cyprian grabbed Maria’s hand and waist. She looked at Cyprian and glowed at him as they found their place in line. The dancers continued as if Sam did not exist. He again went toward Maria, but the more he walked to her, the further away she seemed.

 Maria’s mother and father stood before him. Mr. Hallet pointed his cane at Sam. “What are you doing here? You don’t belong here.”

 “Leave her alone, Sam. Don’t you see she’s happier without you?” Mrs. Hallet said.