Forty - PORT ROYAL

Forty - PORT ROYAL

February 1717

It was late when they made it to port, yet the city was alive and bustling with activity. There were all sorts of people seemingly from all over the world. Some wore very colorful clothes and some wore nothing at all. They roamed the streets and taverns wild and free but to Sam this kind of freedom reeked with anarchy. A land run by lawless people with no principles was as scary a thought as a land ruled by the rich and powerful.

When Sam looked upon a couple copulating, he decided it was a bad idea to let his eyes wander. He was beginning to wonder if it was such a good idea to have come here at all.

“There are several ports that are friendly to pirates. This one happens to be very friendly.” Blackbeard said with a wicked grin.

“Yes, I can see that,” Sam said with a produced smile.

“When do the brethren usually get together?” Paulgrave asked getting right to the point.

“As soon as we’re all sober enough to remember where we are.” Blackbeard laughed hard. “Usually takes a few days but tomorrow there’ll be a gathering.”

Sam did not care about the gathering; he was tired and aggravated about being in Port Royal. “Is there a decent place to stay in this God-forsaken place?” Sam asked.

Blackbeard laughed again. He seemed happy, content to be corrupting virgins of such a wickedly careless lifestyle. “I must admit sleeping was the furthest thing from my mind.” He thought for a moment. “I know just the place. Follow me.”

The men continued down the muddy road. Scantily clad women offering personal services called out to them. A naked man nearly ran into Paulgrave chasing a woman through the street. Sam was not sure if her screams were playful or warranted, but stopping a pirate in a town ran by pirates was a quick way to die. He felt out of place here, as if he was crashing a party of strangers, yet these were now supposed to be his people. At least according to Blackbeard, Cyprian, and all of Cape Cod by now.

He touched the pendant through his shirt. I wonder if Maria has forgotten me.  Given his ever-changing coordinates, it was impossible for him to receive any correspondence from her, and he had no way of knowing if she got any of the many letters he had written. The unknown was the hardest part for him, and as much as he told himself she still loved him, his mind ran wild with doubt.

They came upon a large two-story building in the middle of town. Blackbeard knocked on the door using a large rusted knocker. A heavyset woman opened the door, her cleavage straining to pop out of her colorful blouse.

“How can I help you gentlemen?” then she noticed Blackbeard and her excitement went up several notches. “Edward, my love,” she said as she reached for his face and gave him a big kiss. “It’s far too long since I kissed you last.”

“Drusilla, it has been too long indeed,” Blackbeard said.

“Come in, come in, who did you bring me this evening?” the woman said, looking at Paulgrave and Sam.

“These are my friends and fellow sailors of the retched seas; Sam Bellamy and Paulgrave Williams.”

She spread her arms out wide, “Sam and Paulgrave, you are now my friends.” She grabbed them both and pulled their faces into her heaving chest, then laughed with a sort of sultry tone.

When at last freed, they uttered their niceties.

“Please do come in,” she said.

“I’m sorry, my love, but I have some unfinished business to attend to. These men have need for room and board, can you handle it?”

She looked back at Sam and Paulgrave with an instinctual seductive glance. “Oh, I think I can, but can they handle me?” Her laughter bounced her belly into her bosoms making everything jiggle.

“Easy now, Paulgrave here bites,” Sam said.

“And Sam is soft and gentle, if you prefer.” Paulgrave fought back.

Blackbeard slapped Sam and Paulgrave on their backs. “Looks like you have your hands full, Drusilla. I’ll see you two in the morning.”

They said goodbye as their host escorted them inside.

                                                                                           ***

“Follow me,” Drusilla said as she raised a lantern and escorted the men up some stairs. “Where is the boss man?”

“Boss man?” Paulgrave asked.

“You mean Captain Hornigold?” Sam guessed.

“Yes, will he be joining you?”

Sam didn’t really want to get into it with her. “No, actually, he left us a couple weeks back.”

“Well that’s alright with me, never did like him much. Edward's the new captain?”

“Yes, of a galleon, Sam is captain of the Mary Anne," Paulgrave said, pointing to Sam.

Drusilla stopped at the top of the stairs and turned around. “Well why didn’t you say so? We have special discounts for captains.”

Sam looked at Paulgrave and shrugged. “Okay."

She waved them to follow her down the hall. “Would you prefer Blonde or Brunette?” Drusilla asked as she came to a door and stopped.

Sam raised his hands up. “Um, that’s not necessary—”

“Don’t you worry about a thing; we do it for every captain.”

“No, really…You see I already have—”

“Awe, say no more, your friend is correct, you are a romantic. What about you Paulgrave, I’ll give you the same deal.”

“I really appreciate your hospitality, but I’m really tired and am going straight to bed.”

Drusilla looked at him in disbelief, then she looked at Sam, and then back to Paulgrave. A smile formed on her face. “Oh, I see, you go right to bed. I understand.” She motioned them to follow her to another room.

Paulgrave’s face soured. “No, no, no, you have it all wrong—”

She waved her large arms at them, “No need to worry.”

Grabbing the doorknob Paulgrave shook his head. “But you must understand that we’re not—”

Sam pushed Paulgrave into the room. “—to be disturbed,” he said giving her a wink.

Drusilla breathed in with delight at this sort of declaration. “No one will disturb you. Do you need anything before tomorrow morning?”

“No, and thank you for your discretion,” Sam said taking her hand and kissing it.

She whinnied in excitement and lumbered back down the stairs.

Sam entered the room and shut the door. Paulgrave stood with a terrified look on his face.

“Sam—”

“Look, it was the best way to get rid of —”

“Sam!” Paulgrave said louder, commanding his attention. Sam gave it and Paulgrave simply pointed at the only bed in the room. It was small, and barely room enough for the both of them.

Sam exhaled a long breath. “Shit!”