Thirteen - THE BEACH

Thirteen-THEBEACH

 August 1716

 Sam sat on a blanket in the sand facing the seashore. The large moon was the only source of light. He had brought a basket filled with bread, fruit, dry biscuits, salami, and sausage. Behind him was a small hill full of tall yellow grass. He looked beyond the hill to the wooden staircase and again no Maria. Searching through the basket for the third time since arriving twenty minutes earlier, Sam cut off a piece of salami and ate it. The sounds of shoes clomping on wood made Sam smile, and sent him to his feet.

 A man ran down the steps, and through the grass toward Sam. He dropped to the sand, his mind racing wondering who it was after him. Maybe Maria’s father sent someone to take him out, or even Cyprian. He searched the beach for something he could use to defend himself. Sitting in the weeds behind him was a piece of driftwood. Gripping the weapon, he readied himself for whoever came through the grass.

 As quickly and quietly as he could go, he edged around the small hill, clutching his club tight. He was just about to the spot where he had seen the man running, when he heard rapid footsteps through the sand behind him. He spun around, wielding the club in the air like a caveman.

 “Sam.” The man said ripping off his hat and wig letting his long blonde hair fall freely.

 “Maria,” Sam said dropping the club. “You looked like a man. I thought… I almost… This was the idea you spoke of earlier?”         

 She laughed. “It’s safer for a man to travel at night than a woman. It was an extra treat to see you wielding that stick.” She dropped the bag she was carrying and unbuttoned her vest. “Turn around Please; I’d like to be a woman for the rest of the night.”

 Sam did as she asked. “Need some help?” He smiled to himself.

 “Turn around and I’ll release my mother on you again,” she said.

 “Where did you find men’s clothing that fit you so well?”

 “They were Cyprian’s.”

  “Cyprian’s?” Sam's brows rose. “I knew there was something different about him, but a woman?”

 Maria giggled. “He and my father went hunting together. He left his dirty clothes, and Sara and I made good use of them.”

 Sam turned slightly and saw her bare back before she threw a casual dress over her head and straitened it out. “Are you done?”

 “No! I will tell you when you can look.”

 He heard her struggle a little more.

 “Okay, now you can turn around.”

 Sam turned around. The soft moonlight shone through the day dress, silhouetting her body. “Oh my.”

 “Are you still scared of me?” Maria asked.

 “Not even a little. And I’m glad you can find humor in my humility.”

 Maria stepped closer to Sam. “I’m sorry. I didn’t intend on giving you a fright.”

 “Well I’ll say this: you look better in a pair of breeches than any man I’ve ever seen.”

 Maria looked up at him and then threw her arms around his neck. Her hair, now unruly from wearing a man’s wig, smelled like flowers on a rainy day. There was something familiar about it. He fixed a couple wild locks and then lifter her chin just right and kissed her. Her lips were soft and warm. For a moment, everything faded from his mind, leaving them alone together with the crashing waves.