Six - THE PLAN

Six-THEPLAN

 July 1716

 Sam leaned against a wall in Paulgrave’s office. The smile on his face was a typical expression for him, and he daydreamed on occasion. However, it was the combination of them both that made Paulgrave Williams take notice.

 “Okay, who is she?” Paulgrave asked, breaking the silence.

 Sam looked toward his friend with a sheepish grin, “Whatever could you mean?”

 “What is her name?” Paulgrave reiterated.

 Sam took a deep breath. “I don’t know.”

 “How sentimental of you,” Paulgrave said.

 Sam began to pace in front of an encasement of jewelry. “I just met her this morning at the cemetery.”

 Paulgrave set his quill in the inkwell. “I should be surprised by that I think.”

 “It was only a brief moment, but it was all I needed,” Sam said.

 Paulgrave shook his head. “You fall too easily my friend.”

 “There’s just something about her… and beautiful. Paul I’ve never seen such beauty.”

 “So what are you telling me, exactly?” Paulgrave leaned back in his chair. “That you fell in love with this mystery girl whom you met in a cemetery less than two hours ago?”

 “Well you don’t have to make it sound so preposterous.”

 Paulgrave shot Sam a look.

 “I’m not going that far,” Sam continued. “I’m just saying that there is something about her that is extremely intriguing.”

  “Very well.” Paulgrave removed his white powdered wig and messaged his scalp. “Now is that what you came to see me for?”

 His dazed smile fading, Sam looked to his friend. Paulgrave did not look well, and Sam wondered if he shouldn’t wait to discuss business. However, time was of the essence so he moved forward. “No, I came here to talk about our conversation the other night.”

 “Refresh my memory,” Paulgrave said.

 Sam stopped and looked through the glass at the necklaces and rings. “You were discussing your current sentiment on your life as a jeweler.”

 Paulgrave crossed one leg over the other. “Ah yes, my drunken stupor, how could I forget?”

 “Quite easily I would think. It was, after all, a drunken stupor.” Sam smiled, hoping to keep things light.

 Paulgrave, however, did not smile; he stared off into the distance, transformed by thought. “Things just haven’t been the same since Elizabeth passed.”

 Sam’s face flushed with embarrassment. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—”

 “I used to love it, you know. All of this.” Paulgrave looked around at the displays of gold, silver, and gems. “But now I just feel stuck.” The room was dead quiet. “I just don’t see what the purpose is anymore.”

 Sam didn’t know what to say. This was the first time since Elizabeth’s death that Paulgrave had confided in him like this. First time sober, anyway.

 “Sam, if you don’t stop me from talking I’ll make an even bigger fool of myself.” Paulgrave smiled, which relieved the tension some.

 Sam walked over to Paulgrave and put his hand on his shoulder. “You don’t have anything to worry about, because I don’t think that’s possible.”