Nine - THE GAME

Nine-THEGAME

August 1716

 Low tea at the Hallet estate meant more than just sipping out of delicate china and idle chatter about current events, although there was plenty of that. It was a time for entertaining distinguished guests including dignitaries, politicians, and royalty, coupled with a walk through the fields and gardens on the Hallet's extensive property.

 However, it was Maria’s turn to invite the guests, which usually meant there was some sport or activity played on the lush green lawns. This afternoon her parents were shocked to learn that the company they would be keeping during this usually dignified and traditional gathering would be with an out of work sailor laboring at a menial job in a disreputable tavern.

 Several chairs sat under the massive canopy of three large saw tooth oak trees. Each chair had a small table sitting to one side that was set with white linen and white porcelain dishes. Maria’s mother insisted that the fine china would be lost on an un-refined man such as Sam. “He probably would not be able to tell the difference anyway,” she had said to Maria as they were preparing for their guests. This upset Maria, but she ignored her mother’s comments, as usual.

                                                                                            ***

 Sam looked handsome sitting in his black coat appropriately handling the not-so-silver wares. He preferred being with his peers, the common folk, but he adjusted to this atmosphere quite nicely. He looked around, getting familiar with four new faces: Maria’s parents, Martha and John Hallet; and Cyprian’s parents, Catherine and Joseph Southack. All four looked like aristocrats, draped with the finest of linens and newly powdered wigs.

 Cyprian had just finished another tale of his latest adventures as an explorer working for the crown. He'd ended with an anecdote that fetched laughs around the table. No one seemed to notice the effort Sam made to show his feigned interest. Maria smiled, but not once did her lips let loose even a murmur of laughter. Sam studied her profile. A long, dark blonde curly ringlet hung down nearly covering the upward curve in the corner of her full, red lips.

 Mr.Hallet tinged a knife against his teacup, calling attention to his guests. “I’d like to propose a toast.” He waited for everyone to raise his or her cup. “To Captain Cyprian Southack, the greatest adventurer since Columbus.”

 Joseph Southack raised his cup. “Here-here.”

 Maria kept her glass raised. “Yes, despite the fact that Columbus managed to discover a whole continent.” She gave Cyprian a wry smile.

 “Yes, and if I had been born in his century, I’d have done it much quicker.” Cyprian winked back at her.

 “No question,” Mr.Hallet said with resolve.

 “No question whatsoever,” Mr.Southack agreed.

 “Like the Norsemen?” Sam asked taking a sip of his tea.

 “Pardon me?” Cyprian lowered his cup and looked at Sam, followed by the rest of the guests.

 “They say Norsemen discovered America long before Columbus did.” Sam took a bite of one of the small cakes on his table.

 “And who are ‘they?’ “Cyprian asked it as more of a dispute rather than an actual question.

 Sam looked around at the staring faces, now feeling a bit out of place. He looked at Sara, hoping that she would at least have a smile for him, and she did. “I know a man from Denmark. He told me stories passed down his lineage from generation to generation that told of the discovery of a new land called Vinland. They say that land was America.”