Fifty One - PRINCE'S PLAN

Fifty One – PRINCE’S PLAN

April 1717

Prince lowered the telescope to look at the two ships trailing behind with his own eyes. His breathing sped up and he looked away, as if searching for an answer. He looked down into the palm of his hand at the gold coin. He started toward the stairs that led down to the lower decks, when the company commander grabbed hold of his arm. “Get us out of here,” the man said in a threatening tone.

Prince yanked his arm away and continued down the stairs. He got to the gunnery deck and called for the sergeant. It was a loud chaotic mess with men nervous and clamoring. The sergeant came forward. “Captain,” he said at attention.

Prince pulled the man aside. “I need you to listen to me very carefully.”

***

Sam stood at the bow of his ship and through his scope watched the chaos unfold on the Whydah Gally. He lowered the glass and looked over to the Mary Anne. He could see Paulgrave standing at her bow, looking through his own scope. He smiled and walked along the deck giving encouragement to his men as he went. Down in the gunnery, the men were ready and waited for instruction. The gunnery sergeant came forward.

Sam stepped toward him. “Remember speed is the key, take out the main mast. We want her immobile not sunk. Paulgrave will clear her deck.”

The sergeant nodded and went back to his men shouting orders.

Sam hurried back up to the main deck and then up onto the quarterdeck where John stood at the helm. “Bring us up on her port evenly with Paulgrave on her starboard. Got it?”

John nodded. “Got it.”

Sam walked to the base of the main mast. There, his pistols sat on a barrel already tied with ribbons. He put them around his neck and readied for the oncoming attack. He motioned for some of his men to the starboard rail. They would be the first to board the Whydah.

Down in the gunnery deck, the sergeant walked back and forth along the aisle behind the guns. He looked out a hole built for spotting ships.

“Get ready, men,” he yelled.

One single blast from a cannon on the Whydah rang out. The sergeant held his hand up to stop the men. “Hold.”

The shot flew over the bow of the Sultana. No other heavy guns were fired.

***

The company commander grabbed Prince by the collar. “Are you mad? They’ll attack for sure.”

Prince took out his knife and cut the man’s wrist wide open.

The commander grabbed his wrist to stop the flow of blood, but it seemed to keep gushing.

“Touch me again and you’ll lose your whole hand,” Prince said.

The commander yelled out and three company men standing nearby rushed to him.

“Arrest him.” The commander pointed to Prince.

Prince raised his hands and went willingly. They took him down to the cargo deck, put him in shackles and chains, and locked the chains to one of the steel loops fastened to a post. He was now a prisoner on his own ship.

With a make-shift bandage on his wrist, the company commander flew down the stairs to the gunnery deck. With A look of astonishment on his face, he stopped and stared. Every cannon was pointing toward the inside of the ship, and down toward the floor. The gunners were nowhere in sight.