Thirty-Nine - A GOOD DAY

Thirty - Nine - A GOOD DAY

January 1717

The two ships sat upon the calm evening waters. Music echoed off the shimmering sea, as men sang and danced in celebration of their long awaited victory. The acquisition of another ship, added a cello and violin to Sam’s crew. The musicians did not play in a classical style, as the men preferred something quick in rhythm, and hearty in beat.

The celebration took place on Blackbeard’s galleon for the most part. Sam stayed on the Mary Anne, choosing, for the moment, to celebrate in solitude. He leaned against the railing and watched the men with a smile on his face. For once in this whole adventure, he brought success to the men who entrusted their fate to him. It was a good day. He felt for the first time as if he was on track to finding the riches he sought.

A heavy thought dawned on him. The method at which they found their success today could actually widen the gap between him and Maria. It was a risk he was willing to take, because going home empty handed wasn’t going to win over any hearts. If all else failed, he would have enough money to sail away with Maria and get lost somewhere.

Paulgrave leaned against the railing next to Sam. “It might seem strange hearing this from me, but you need to loosen up a little.”

Sam chuckled. “I’m celebrating from a far.”

“Yes I know, I actually came over here to tell you to keep it down, we’re trying to have a good time.”

Sam looked at his friend, still smiling. “It smells like you’re doing enough celebrating for the both of us.”

“If you’d let your hair down a little, maybe I wouldn’t have to.”

“Fine if that’s what it’ll take to shut you up,” Sam reached up to undo his ribbon.

Paulgrave shook his head. “Not what I meant.”

Sam's hair fell down a little past his shoulders. “You're right, I feel totally relaxed, and ready to celebrate.”

“Unbelievable," Paulgrave said looking toward the actual celebration.

Sam took a deep breath as he too looked over at the men. “We did well today,” Sam said still soaking in the moment.

Paulgrave nodded. “We did indeed.”

A gun blasted through Sam's train of thought. He adjusted his stare and found Blackbeard aiming two pistols at him and Paulgrave, smoke rising from one of the barrels. “Get over here, before I fix my aim.”

“Yes sir,” Sam said without hesitation.

Blackbeard walked back to the celebration.

“If I knew it were that easy, I would have saved myself a trip,” Paulgrave said.

Sam thought about it for a moment. “I don’t think it would have worked.”

Paulgrave shrugged. “And why not?”

Sam put his hand on Paulgrave's shoulder as they walked. “Because you’re a horrible shot Paul.”

Paulgrave looked at Sam with a half-smile. “Not with a cannon.”

Sam chuckled. “True enough.”

They came to the planks joining the two ships. “Let’s just get over there and have a proper celebration,” Paulgrave said.

“I’m with you.”

***

Inebriated crewmembers welcomed ‘Black Sam’, the new captain of the Mary Anne. “Will you lead the next song, captain?” one of the men shouted.