fourteen

Joan walks towards Harry, "Henry, right?"

"I'm Harry Styles," he corrects and sticks out his hand.

Joan shakes it firmly, "I'm Joan. In my office, you too Doris."

Joan goes up the stairs with Harry and I close behind. I look up and see the girls in the hall of the second floor, scrubbing floors while peering at Harry and making comments.

And Lucy, genuinely bragging that she's met him first. I walk into her office and she lit the lamp before Harry and I took a seat side my side. She sat at her desk.

"How long have you been seeing each other, Harry?" Joan asks.

"Nine months, right?" Harry turns to me and I nod.

Lucy ran into the office and turned to me, "Miss Doris, Charlotte slipped in the puddle. She's hurt I think."

"It's not the time for that Lucy!" Joan barked. "Nancy help those girls! Excuse yourself Lucy."

Lucy nodded. "I'm sorry. Oh, hello Harry!"

I slightly gasped and Lucy covered her mouth.

Harry responded, "Hey, Lucy."

Lucy walked out the room and Joan spoke. "Lucy get back in here now."

Lucy came back inside, "Yes?"

"Do you know Harry?" Joan says.

Harry opened his mouth to speak but I grabbed his hand, ignoring the shock, and squeezed it so he would clamp his mouth shut. He grimaced and removed his hand.

"No, I don't know him but I like to meet new people," Lucy insisted.

"Okay. Carry on."

Lucy left the room and went back down the hall.

"Harry when is your birthday?" Joan asked.

"February 1st."

"What do you do for a living?" Joan asked.

"I'm a construction worker. But I'm on the verge of quitting," Harry responded.

"Construction worker? How do you provide for your fiancé? That's disappointing. Does she bring all the money in? You should be ashamed," Joan scolded.

"I bring the money in. And I can provide for us both, very very well," Harry nodded.

"I doubt that. Don't be a fibber," Joan warned.

"I'm not. But you should know that Doris is independent herself so she really doesn't need me."

"Oh come on. It's the damn Great Depression! How are you wealthy and stable with such low paying jobs?" Joan asks.

"That's a private question," Harry answered.

"Where are you from with that accent?" Joan looked disgusted.

"England.."

"That's figures why your name is odd. Why the hell would you leave England to come to New York?" Joan adds.

"Again, private question."

"Well, answer something!" Joan says.

"I thought Doris already let you know that I'm her fiancé?" Harry sighed.

"No, she fibbed!" Joan disagrees.

"I did not!" I say and sit up in my chair.

"Yes you did and you know it so shut up!" Joan raises her voice.