four

"1932?" I say as my voice shakes. Even the year sounds so foreign spilling out of my mouth.

Harry nods. I close my eyes to prevent anger that's building up. Damn it, Sunny and Casey. How the hell did I end up in damn 1932? I take a deep breath and open my eyes.

"Now what?" Harry asks.

"I don't know. I have no where to go. How am I going to hide my identity? I don't want to change history," I bury my face in my hands.

"Hey, it's okay. I'll help you. Think of the benefits of this," Harry says.

I remove my hands. "I only can think of The Great Depression, cause that's what we're in."

"At least, um.. the Empire State!" Harry says.

I shook my head. "I've been there lots of times as a child. And I don't want to go back either."

Harry sat for a moment. "What are you gonna do?"

"For now, it's best if this only stays between you and I," I nod and open my eyes.

"Then I shouldn't call you Jessamine. That name isn't common here. You'll have to dress like us, and just make up a name," Harry said and leaned back in his chair.

"Where would I live?" I say.

"You could stay with me for a few days," Harry shrugs. "I don't mind. It's interesting to help someone like you."

"Thanks Harry. How old are you?" I ask.

"I'm twenty as of February first."

"I'm eighteen," I say quietly.

Being confused must be my new thing. How do I get back to the present? Will I get back to the present? What's this remote for? How am I supposed to live here?

"Harry, what do the women do around here all day?" I question.

Harry clicks on a nearby lamp and stands up. "I don't know. I think they clean, and make their husband food. I don't have a wife so I wouldn't know. It's rare to see women outside on weekdays, unless they are going to the market or something."

"I see. So I'm supposed to stay here all day?" I ask him and stand up too.

"If you want to be really secretive, then I think you should become an average woman in 1932. And in the night, we could try to figure your problem out."

"Wouldn't it be weird if I stay here but we have no connection? That's what a person had told me yesterday," I questioned.

"I guess you're right," Harry runs his hand through his brown hair and drew his brows together.

I could just pretend to be his daughter. No, we're two years apart, people wouldn't buy that. I walked over to a cream colored radio box and messed with it before leaving it be. Harry and I just stayed silent.

"Lets go, I have some clothes for you," Harry walked down the hall and into the bedroom.

He came back out with a white collared dress and the length looked right above the ankles. There were white shoes to go with it. They looked like men dress shoes with laces, except they have a heel to it. I thanked him and took the outfit.

"These were my cousin's. She stayed her for a couple of days but then she moved to Michigan and left these," Harry gestures to the outfit. "You can sleep in that room across from mine."

I hope I can fit these heels. I walk in the bathroom that I spotted. It doesn't have a light. I quickly change my clothes and fold up my regular ones and stuff them in my purse. I close my eyes and try to remember the hairstyle that Margaret had. The braided bun. I opened my eyes and tied my hair and did the same style with my dark brown hair.