nine

I look at the address printed on the newspaper and glance up to the large stone brick building. Is this it? I hope so. I fold the newspaper up nicely and stuff in into my purse. I walk up the stoned steps and clear my throat before knocking on the wooden door.

After some time the door swung open and there stood a young woman. "Hello, Miss. You must be Doris Baker. I'm Nancy, Joan is upstairs in her office and would like to see you."

She has chestnut colored hair and a sweet smile. I follow her up the huge staircase to the second floor. This place is rather quiet for an orphanage. I would at least expect some laugher and playful screaming from the girls, why is it so quiet around here?

Nancy opens the door quietly and a middle aged lady sat at her chair and when she saw me she hung up the telephone.

"Come sit. We've been waiting for you, Baker. I'm Joan."

I sit down and clutch my suitcase. Both of their hairstyle seems to me in a tight bun. While mine is in a bun too, I'm grateful that I decided to freshen up.

"Miss Baker, how old are you?" Joan asked asked Nancy left.

"Eighteen."

"Any siblings?"

"No, ma'am."

She scribbles on her pad and looks up. "Romantic interest?"

I almost say Harry but then I remember what I had done earlier. "No."

"Any children?"

"No."

"You think your life is perfect, don't you?" Joan asks.

I shake my head. "No. Far from it."

After more and more questions, she finally puts her pad away.

"Miss Baker, you seem really eligible. With this job, you can stay here. Though, your stay does take a bit from your pay check. You start tomorrow eight in the morning to eight at night. All day. Free on weekends. No visitors until you've asked me."

I nod taking it all in. "Thank you."

"Nancy will show you your room and around and the children will see you. You work with Nancy. The other two women works the other hours that you don't. And on weekends, two other women take care," Joan informs.

"Right," I reply.

"You are only to watch the children. They get no treats or rewards. Punish them if they act sour. Only I make the decisions around here," Joan says sternly.

I nod and stand up, following Nancy with my suitcase once again. Nancy speaks, "The girls are aged 5-17. Some can be a pain. But just punish them as Joan instructed."

I nod again as our heels clicked against the floor. She led me to a bedroom and it looked nice. The sheets on the queen twin sized mattress where a rose pink. A mahogany dresser was present as well as a nightstand with a kerosene lamp. A clock was adorned on the wall and I had a window to see the backyard and the road. I smiled and set my suitcase down.

"Your telephone is there, beside you. And here is a key for your room so those girls can't enter. Some can be quite a pest," Nancy said.

"I understand."

"Let's go take you downstairs," Nancy exited the room and I shut the door behind myself as I followed.

She showed me the kitchen, the dinning area, and the main room. There was a bathroom on all three floors. I'm guessing the girls are on the third floor.

"The girls do the laundry. You can stand and make sure everything is going well," Nancy nodded.

I followed Nancy up both the stair cases.