Chapter 10

It seemed time just vanished inbetween intervals. One minute we were at our old family home, the next at the hospital, and throughout the whole car journey there, my breath was shaky and heavy.

I didn't know if I was able to face a barely living Simon... in a comatose state, because of me.

The whole fun of going on a time travel adventure now seemed like a nightmarish event, the dreamlike adventurous me hoping to make the world a free for all had become worried, frantic and confused in the place and time I now found myself.

Derek had spoken to me in kind words, saying stuff like.

"Yeah, Brit's been totally taken care of everything for the wedding."

"We recently got a chihuahua, it's like our baby!"

"I find it really cool how you're doing this for your family, Alvin."

"Y-yeah," I said in a shaky voice, not knowing how to properly respond to him. It was like all his cares and worries had disappeared, like the jerk he had been for all the time I had known him had now completely gone. Replacing the old bully Derek with a calm nicer centred one.

All that time, however, me and Brittany hadn't spoken any words between us. But I could feel the tension. The fact that Derek was there, just made it so much worse.

I wanted to talk to her, but I didn't have the bravery to bring forth any words. What was wrong with me?! Why was I being so timid?!

At the hospital, as we reached Simon's room in the ward he was sectioned in, I just halted before the door, panicking.

Dave held back from going in for a second, looking at me worried, and I just muttered out in desperation.

"DON'T LOOK AT ME!"

Brittany gasped barely, and Theodore crooked an eyebrow up.

I walked backwards, going up against the wall and closed my eyes, taking deep heavy breaths.

"Alvin..." Brittany just whispered and Derek bent down, touching her shoulder and she turned her head, looking into his eyes, concerned.

"I can't go in just yet, okay!" I shouted at them quickly, opening my eyes with tears in them and the four only watched me, lost, "This isn't meant to be! None of this!"

Brittany took a deep breath in and out, and only said to the others quietly, her voice soft, "Guys, give me a few minutes with him, okay...?"

Theodore, Dave and Derek looked at Brittany quietly, before Dave nodded his head and Derek shrugged a little, standing up straight again. I saw the door push open and looked to see a heart monitor inside the room, beeping away. I shut my eyes again quickly, afraid of the sight, and turned my head away from the direction of the door as it closed.

Brittany sighed, and walked over to me, leaning up against the wall beside me and asking.

"What's up...?"

"This isn't meant to be, Brit," I said to her, wiping the tears from my eyes and when I looked into hers, I saw quiet discernment.

"But it is," she said back, not questioning the way reality was and I shook my head again, adding.

"Because of me..."

"Simon's lucky to have you and his family here to see him," she said, trying to comfort me and I hated that reply.

"No," I uttered out, near to sobbing now, "He's not."

Brittany didn't say anything for a moment, just watching me with still eyes. She placed her hand on my shoulder, leaning her head sadly against me and I continued, afraid of her touch.