Chapter 1

"Argh! Would you be quiet in there? Simon!"

I shouted this very angrily, as I lay on my huge bed, just trying to block out the noise my brother was making in his lab across the room from me.

"I mean, seriously, Si." I said and got up at last, storming right over to his secret lab and slamming my tiny fist against the metal wall in the closet, "Some of us are trying to sleep!"

"I can't believe it..."

I could hear him utter this in a quiet amazed voice, as if talking to himself, but of course I believed he was replying to me.

"Well believe it, mister." I said, my voice having a tinge of hatred in it from my sleep deprivation as I slammed in the code and smoke rolled out of the lab in a puff. I saw Simon standing there in utter shock as he looked at his giant sleek metal booth, and I rolled my eyes.

"So that's all you've been doing? Trying to fix your lame fake time travel photo booth?"

"Fake?!" Simon said in disbelief and pulled a shocked face at my words, "Fake, it is no longer..."

"Uh huh." I said, tiredly, and just gave a yawn, stretching my small arms as I said quietly, sleepy and frustrated, "Well can you like, go to bed? All that drilling and zapping is making so much noise it is KEEPING ME AWAKE!"

"Oh, we wouldn't want that now, would we?" my brother said sarcastically, and covered his photo booth with a white sheet. It floated down gently over it.

"Guys, stop fighting..." Theodore said in the distance and I rolled my eyes at his whining, "Or else Dave might ground you two."

"Ground us?" I said in a laugh and jumped back onto my bed, snuggling into the cushions and chuckling that idea off, "The only chipmunk here Dave will be grounding is Simon."

"Very clever, Alvin..." my glasses wearing sibling said with his eyelids low and his posture slanted a little as he got ready for his own sleeping session, "But my experiment for the science fare is so amazing, so incredibly groundbreaking, it is sure to win."

"Is it really an achievement when you win every science fare?" I said back snarkily and Simon just sighed, saying with a grin.

"No, not really..." he tucked himself into his bed and put his glasses on the nightstand in between our two beds, "But I do believe what I've done now, is so groundbreaking, that it could even win a noble priz-"

"Zzz, Zzz..." I pretended to snore to shut him up as I flipped over to face the other way and muttered grumpily, "Oh, sorry, Simon... you congratulating yourself over and over again just works the trick to put me to sleep. Keep talking and I'll be in sand land in minutes."

"Hmpth..." Simon growled annoyed, and Just swooped over on his other side as well, facing away from me and Theodore turned off his light, the room falling into darkness as the three of us fell into deep slumber.

~x~

The next day I was the first to wake up, and could hear sparks and crackles coming from Simon's lab. I lowered my eyebrows annoyed.

I landed on the ground with a thump from my feet, and walked in sleepy frustrated slogging stomps to the laboratory. I typed in the code that made the beat of one of our songs, The Witch Doctor, and the metal doors slid opened so fast they were like a zap in their speed.

I looked onward and saw Simon's machine was shaking and sparking. I cocked an eyebrow up, coming closer to it, wary and confused.

I could hear a yawn in the distance, and I called out in barely a voice.

"Si...?"

"What is it, Alvin?"

"Your photo booth is acting all funky?"

"Alvin- ALVIN!" my brother suddenly yelled, running out of his bed. He slipped as he hit the ground and I turned around puzzled, as he stumbled to his feet and ran towards me.

"Alvin, get away from that!"

"Or what?" I said with a smirk, looking at him, cocky in myself, "It will take a picture of me with a T-Rex in France?"

"No, Alvin!" Simon said in anger as he reached me and tried to pull me by the arm out of the laboratory, "This isn't some sort of novelty time booth any more. It'll actually send you through TIME!"

My eyes just fell flat looking at my brother, me bemused at his words.

"Are you for real? Simon, you're a wannabe scientist. Not, not some insane Einstein!"

"Look, I was just toying with it... but I'm ninety nine percent sure that thing really can send a person OR chipmunk through time. GET OUT BEFORE IT EXPLODES!"

"Yeah... sure, just like when you lied to me how it sent you through time?" I smirked and pushed Simon off going over to the booth but he tackled me to the ground.

"Alvin! Seriously! Don't be an imbecile!"

"STOP IT, SIMON!" I yelled, and tried to wrestle him off but the machine was jigging and hopping on its heavy sides when suddenly, just like Simon had prophesied-

It exploded.

A white bright sparkling light enveloped us and we both screamed as it flung us to the wall.

In a few minutes time I could hear myself huffing and puffing in the darkness, my pained eyes closed.

"Simon..." I whispered, my breath barely there and all I heard was silence around me, "Simon... are you... are you okay, bro?"

"Alvin Seville...?"

That voice... it wasn't his.

It sounded like Miss Smith, and I suddenly opened my eyes baffled at hearing her voice.

"Miss Smith?!" I gasped.

I suddenly saw... I was at school, looking at the class of my schoolmates, and I saw Simon just gasping at his desk, nearly having a heart attack in shock, Theodore looking around innocently like nothing was the matter.

I looked at my taller brother, my own voice choked in tiredness, and I heard Miss Smith say to me.

"Alvin Seville, didn't you have something you said you needed to announce?"

I looked around, still shocked, as the class watched me curious.

Suddenly Simon seemed to gain his breath back and he looked around him, freaking out as he stumbled back on his desk's seat.

I looked quickly at the calendar on the wall to my left... seeing it was Monday, the first of September.

But what I couldn't understand was the date... as it said on the printed schedule... that today... was one year ago...

I stiffened when I saw this and Miss Smith continued to ask.

"Well, Alvin?" her voice sounded lethargic, tired and annoyed, "What's the big news...?"

"Um..."

The big news? Just that I was a year in the past with my brother...

...and not a single soul here knew.