Chapter 6

It was like I was seeing numbers flying past my eyes as the white surrounded me. I could see dates from some metaphysical calender in my mind fling past as the days, months and years flew by.

And the memories... so many memories compacting into my head at once as I saw images flash through my inner eye of all that I had experienced in the last three years.

Suddenly I felt a jolt back from the whiteness, and all went black as I was left in darkness.

I realized the reason for this was because... my eyes were closed?

I slowly opened them and looked around warily, seeing on the wall the time say nine o clock. I crooked my eyebrows confused, and bit my lip as I felt my throat was pretty thirsty.

I slowly got out of the bed I found I was on, and saw I was in a rockin' bedroom, with guitars and a hot tub and photos of me with many celebrities on the walls.

"YES!" I suddenly shouted, realizing what I had predicted had come true, "EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!"

"Alvin, baby, please don't shout..."

I stiffened, frightened, and looked around... seeing a blonde young lady on the bed in skimpy pyjamas.

"Er..." I peeped, pointing at her, and suddenly realized myself that I was in a very flashy red sparkly pyjamas myself, "Who are you?"

"Er, your girlfriend, stupid," she said with a roll of her eyes in a sarcastic voice, and I looked at her surprised. Why would a girlfriend of mine sound so annoyed at me?

"Okay... er..." I was trying to remember her name, and in that second a flash of hundreds of girls names went through my mind, of hundreds of girls I seemed to barely remember dating in the last three years, "...er?"

"Oh my gosh," she said, furious, and just glared at me in astonishment, "You've forgotten my name again!"

"Do I do this often?" I asked, questioning this as I seemed to now have memories of never remembering this one's name.

"That's it!" she snapped, and got out of bed, stomping towards the door in the far distance and turning around to face me just before she left. Her hand placed on the handle and she glared at me yelling, "We're through! Oh, and by the way, IT'S PRECIOUS!"

She slammed the door, and I was left speechless for a second, reconciling this in my head, and just uttered out, lost.

"Well, it was nice knowing you... er... Precious...? wow, what a bad name."

I shivered at the thought that I had dated a girl with such a name, and looked around my giant bachelor's pad, walking over to the huge glass window that made up the far left wall and looked down.

I was high up in an apartment that seemed to be twenty floors up, and I looked across, realizing I could see the Hollywood sign in the distance.

It dawned on me, that our band, Alvin and the Chipmunks, must have made it bigger than what any of us could've imagined... but then... where were my brothers?

I thought about this for a minute, and suddenly a memory flashed through my mind from a year ago... of a fight about something... with Simon saying he was going to go back and fix it.

Fix what?

I was so confused, that I decided to ring Simon's number, to figure out where he was, and where the rest of my family and the Chipettes were.

As I picked up my mobile to dial his, all I got was a dead line.

I pulled a puzzled look at this and rang Dave. After a few rings, it was picked up.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Who's this?!" I barked, astonished, "Don't you have me as a contact, Dave?!"

"Alvin..? Is that really you...?" he said, his voice sounding quiet and heartbroken, "I thought I'd never hear from you again."

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, DAVE!?" I yelled, even more, shocked and surprised, "Why the heck not?"

"Ever since what happened to Simon a year ago, you said you couldn't be around us anymore..."

"What happened to Simon? I tried ringing his phone but it was a dead line."

There was silence on Dave's end for a second. I could hear whimpers come from my father's voice, as he began to cry on the other side, and I became quiet for a moment, realizing this was more serious than what I had thought.

"Alvin, please don't tell me you've forgotten... you can't have forgotten what happened."

I tried to search through my memories, not wanting to cause my dad any more pain, and finally, a vivid memory played back.

'Look, I know something happened that day! I know that it can't have been a coincidence that I have no recollection of that party!'

Simon was yelling something at me at our house, it was a few months after we had graduated from high school, and I was preparing to go... solo?!

What?! I was going to go solo in my singing?!

'Nothing happened Simon, we just don't remember what our first day back at school was like'

'Alvin, how can you be so blind! There's a machine downstairs that I know I built, but I can't remember doing it. And I know it has something to do with our missing memories!'

'Nope, uh-uh.' I had snapped, determined not to believe him on this fact.

'Well, I'm going to find out...' he yelled and stormed to the door, leaving our room.

"Alvin, are you still there?"

I blinked coming out of the memory and heard Dave's voice speak quietly through the phone.

"Yeah, yeah, I am... why?"

"You do remember, don't you...? I haven't spoken to you in a year, you said you had to go... because you thought it was your fault."

"Dave, tell me. What. Happened. To. Simon?"

My father took heavy teary breaths and he spoke back, in almost internal torture at his words.

"Alvin, Simon's been on life support for the last year, after that explosion..."

My mouth opened, my eyes slowly widened. I uttered back, my own voice barely there.

"...what?"

"Alvin... Simon's brain dead."