Chapter 9

The first part of the memory was of Derek coming back to school with a broken leg.

Everyone was staring at me, my brothers and the Chipettes as we were dropped off by Dave the next day, my dad appearing very mad.

'Heh heh, bye...Dave-"

Dave slammed the door of the car, still fuming about my lie about being buried by a dog in the woods, and I flinched up a little at the hard bang.

'He is mad.' Simon said.

'I don't know why though!' I said in a desperate voice, 'I don't remember anything from yesterday!'

'Wait?' Simon said, pulling me back by my shoulder as we watched the other four go on, 'You too?'

'Huh!' Brittany said, swinging around to look at us, her face fuming, 'You two don't remember the biggest party of the year, which YOU organized, Alvin?'

I quickly shook my head, uttering out weakly, 'No... just that I woke up the next morning in the basement... with Si.'

'Oh!" Theodore gasped, and looked at me, shaking in exhilaration, 'the mission!'

'Whatever... all you should know is that you caused some serious collateral damage yesterday.' Brittany explained in a dry voice, and her eyes widened when she saw Derek come out of his parents' car with crutches and a cast on his leg.

'Oh my-' she peeped, seeing the injured teenager and I looked up, pointing at Derek, confused, and uttering.

'I did that too?'

The three Chipettes and Theodore turned their deadpanning eyes to stare at me, and I laughed nervously.

'Ops?'

Brittany clasped her hands together in trepidation, and quickly went over to Derek to apologize. The rest of us quickly followed in a worried hurry.

'Derek, I'm so incredibly sorry for what Alvin did yesterday!' she said in a dire broken voice. Derek glared at me, but he seemed very cold and distant. If a little broken, 'If there's anything I or my sisters or the Sevilles can do for you-?'

'Yeah,' Derek said angrily, and began to swing his crutches forward as he hobbled away, 'You can leave me alone forever!'

'Oh!' Brittany pleaded out and followed him. I called to her, surprised.

'Brittany, don't waste your breath on him! He's not worth it!'

Derek seemed to freeze when he heard me say this, and Brittany only shouted back.

'After everything you've done Alvin, and then you lie about it all?! YOU'RE the one who's not worth it!"

Derek's turned body seemed to tense a little at that answer she had given me, and my heart was hurting from that reply. I watched as Brittany said to Derek in a beg.

'If they won't make it up to you, I will. What can I do?'

'Er, um... just help me carry my books,' Derek said, his tough voice sounding unsure for a second and he dropped his bag to the ground. That thing looked enormous next to Brittany, but she sucked up her pride, and took hold of it, dragging it towards the school.

'This isn't good.' Simon said to me, and I looked at the two... so lost in why this was happening.

'It won't last. She'll see what a jerk he is by the end of the day.'