Chapter 7

I was speechless. I was still as my words had vanished the moment I heard Dave say this.

Finally, I said, but my tone was quieter than usual.

"I'm coming home."

My dad only gasped in amazement.

X

I was on the next jet plane back to my hometown. I couldn't travel on public flights, because I soon discovered the moment I stepped foot outside my apartment block, I was swarmed with cheering swooning fangirls.

Nothing I wasn't used to before, but this? This was INSANE.

I thought I was going to get trampled from their stilettos, as I whistled for the limo driver to open the door.

When I had gotten into the black long sauve vehicle, the driver said in an excited voice.

"Oh my gosh! It's you! Alvin!"

"Er, yeah?" I had said, and images of this guy being a chatterbox had popped into my mind from memories past, "Airport please, I need to catch a plane."

"You mean your jet plane? Alvin? Huh, huh?" he said eagerly and more memories came rushing back to my head, that I actually had to touch my forehead in pain.

"Yeah..." I said quietly, as the only thought that really lingered was that I had to see Simon, to believe he was really... gone...

"On it, sir!" the limo driver said with a swoop of a thumbs up, and he exited the parking lot for the busy Hollywood road.

It wasn't soon later I found I was on my own jet, sitting by myself as the pilot flew me to my home, further down the coast.

I placed my head on my hand, just thinking of what my dad had said... and how it could be true.

How I didn't want to believe it to be true.

As I lay back against the chair's cushy back, I felt like my mind transported me to a different time, as a vivid memory came upon me like I was in a dream.

'You're what?'

I watched as Simon said this to Jeanette, horrified at her decision. I was hiding behind the door, as I had been snooping around for something fun to do, but had stumbled upon their conversation...

'I'm going into space.' Jeanette had said, and she walked over to the bedroom window, looking at the stars and Simon joined her, but his approach seemed to have concern within his movements.

'I need to see the stars, to see mother earth...'

'But... for how long?' he asked, his voice sounding heartbroken and Jeanette just shrugged.

'four years... I got the course in astroengineering, I know that this world... well, there are so many worlds within our grasp... all we have to do is reach out for them,'

Simon watched as Jeanette looked with a smile up into the spacey world she was in love with...

'This won't be like astronomy in school...' he had whispered, turning his eyes away in pain, and Jeanette smiled to herself in wonder, saying back.

'No, it will be better...'

I was pulled out of the memory as the plane hit some turbulence and I bounced about a little in my chair. I looked out the window to see we were in a storm, and that the clouds were dark and heavy.

Night time had befallen, and I shook my head, pained by the vivid images I had just witnessed in my brain.

"Jeanette's... in space..?" I said to myself quietly, and then it dawned on me.

Of course! She had signed up for astronomy, and from what I could see in my mind, she had loved it with a passion. She signed up for it the day Simon and I had travelled to the past. And something, somehow, told me that if it wasn't for that day... she would've never discovered her love of the stars.

I could hear the pilot put over a voice call in the jet as he said.

"We will be landing in the airport in ten minutes, please put on your seat belt, Alvin, I don't want to argue with you over this."

I rolled my eyes, assuming I was just as rambunctious as I ever was, and clicked on my seatbelt, fed up at having to buckle myself to the seat.

As we started to descend, I could see my hometown in the distance, and how it looked completely different to what it did in my previous life before all the time travel.

There had been malls built, plus a swimming pool centre.

I could feel the plane shake as it began to land, and I bumped a bit back and forth till I felt a huge thump as we hit the pavement and I looked as we arrived at the airport.

When I got out, I walked to the arrival station and saw Dave there, looking worn and tired and very aged even though only three years had passed. I suddenly understood why, as the knowledge of Dave visiting my brother every day at the hospital came to my mind, and I swallowed as I approached him.

Suddenly, I didn't know how I was going to do this... as a great dread came over me, telling me this was my fault.

And again the memory of Simon saying he needed to fix this... he needed to fix everything, passed through my mind.

"Alvin!" Dave cried in tears of happiness when he saw me, and he threw away his sign that said my name, dropping to his knees to give me a hug.

"Hey, Dave..." I said quietly in the squeeze, and he let go of me, still crying.

"He agreed to see you." my dad added on in happiness and I blinked confused, "I hope you don't mind..."

My eyes widened confused and I looked to the side of my dad... seeing my brother.

Theodore?

"Theodore?!" I said to him, and my younger brother nodded his head, smiling up at me wickedly as he was wearing a black suit.

"Heya, Alvin. Has success been good to you?"

That surprised me, I didn't expect to get that response. My dad let go of me, and I went over to my brother asking, "What's up?"

"Nothing, it's confidential... y'know... CIA stuff..."

"-Wha?"

"Shhs!" Theodore said, shushing me by placing his finger to my lips to silence my outspoken thought, "We'll talk at home. Time's brief, y'know..."

"Yeah..?" I said, mightily confused and looked at Dave, pointing to Theodore and adding, "Is he for real?"

"Alvin, what is wrong with you?" Dave asked, "First you act like you forgot about Simon, now Theodore's job as well?"

"I-I-"

"That's why I came..." Theodore spoke, his high voice very serious and not at all like his food loving self, "I found it highly suspicious that he couldn't remember something so life changing... C'mon, we need to get out of here."

He looked at me quietly again with that wicked cunning smile. He added with a confidence I had never heard from him before.

"We need to 'talk'."