Chapter 27 - Retreat

Previously

" No, I'm sure it will work out. Our teamwork has gotten better as well. " Mitsuba butted in.

" Yes! We've also become good friends. " Yoichi smiled.

" Not that good. " Shihou smirked.

" What?! You're mean! " Yoichi gasped.

" I'm just kidding. "

BOOM!

A loud, sudden sound was heard as everyone immediately turned to look towards city hall with smoke coming out from one of the top floors.

" Let's start the mission! "

Present

Guren's squad charged into the area while killing vampires. Goshi was slowly walking with Shinya behind him as his guard.

" Lieutenant! Leave us! Save yourselves! " one of the hostages cried out but was ignored.

" Oi, Goshi? Close enough yet? " Guren called out to Goshi.

" Yeah, they're within my range. " Goshi blew out some smoke from his pipe as the area became filled with purple mist and the illusion of 200 soldiers started working as all of the vampires in city hall excluding the nobles started fighting the air.

" Let's go! " Guren yelled as Narumi's and Shinoa's squad ran out and began to quickly release all of the prisoners.

" Seriously? We are actually going to be rescued? " the hostages began to murmur amongst themselves as one by one, they were released from their uncomfortable restraints.

Leaving the vampires to fight against the illusions and the rest of his squad, he immediately jumped on top of buildings, appearing in front of Crowley in mid air who smirked.

" Oh? I've seen that face somewhere before. Are you the commander? " Crowley asked.

" We've come to kill you, vampire! " Guren declared as he swung his sword down towards Crowley who immediately deflected it.

" Heh, pretty good but not enough! " Guren said as he threw some explosive tags towards Crowley which exploded in front of his face.

" You're the one not good enough. " Crowley said as he grabbed Guren's arm, appearing to be unharmed.

" No, it's you. " Shinya smirked as he pointed his rifle towards Crowley from behind, " Checkma— "

Shinya was cut off as Crowley swung Guren towards Shinya, causing the two to crash through a window. 

~With the others~

" Lieutenant Colonel Guren! " Sayuri and Mito exclaimed from the ground.

As Mito was about to jump towards the fight, she was held back by Goshi.

" Don't. You'll only drag them down if you go now. " Goshi explained.

" But— "

" Don't worry. I have a plan. " Goshi reassured.

" Makoto. " Shusaku called out.

" Continue the mission. We need to save as many as possible! " Narumi ordered.