Chapter 14

•RAI'S POV•

Chapter 14- I work here

When I awoke in a room with no windows, I tried to stand. But once I stood up, I was yanked back down by chains hooked on my wrists.I studied my surroundings.

The room was built from white cinder blocks. The only door was steel and metal as were the floors. The only vent was probably 4" by 7" grate on the door. It was surprisingly cool for the little amount of air flow.

Ever since I awoke, people with masks enter the room, only to throw me 2-3 slices of lunch meat and make me drink from a bowl. Yes, I was treated as a dog.

Every time I attacked a 'feeder' or attempted to escape I went with out food.

Every thing was the same, still and quiet, till the day when the steel door swung open with a loud bang-

"Hey, babe. It's me." And in, he walked. He wasn't that tall about 5,11 and was more muscular than I remembered. His skin had its natural tan. His deep brown eyes bore into mine. His spiky dark brown hair was swooshed up. He looked amused with his permanently attached cocky smirk. He was the typical bad boy. He was a heart-breaker. But most of all, He was my heart breaker.

I sighed as I looked away. "I should have seen this coming, you know. How could I not guess that the never changing bad-boy, Heath Jones, would be part of my kidnaping."

He rolled his eyes and bent down next to me. He lifted my chin and inspected my face. "You know, I only broke it off because I got this job. I still love you. You and I," he mumbled.

He began to lean in to kiss me but stopped when I mumbled against his lips, "We will never be together again."

He pulled back and chuckled shaking his head slightly. "Same stubborn Rai. Why can't you believe that I would still love you?" he asked with hurt on his face. But, I see through his facade of brokenness. I always could.

"If you liked me, you wouldn't have texted me to meet you in a room where you were with another girl. You would have ran after me when I fled. You would have made some contact with me over the past year. And most of all, you wouldn't have continuously made out with that girl in school in public at one table over for 6 months. Need I go on? Or did your pig brain actually understand something?"

He got up ignoring me. He threw a slice of lunch meat at me and brought me a bowl of water. "You know I always knew your were a dog. Your absolutely pitiful," He insulted. I tried to bite his hand but received a slap across my face.

"I can't believe you work here! This is low even for you!" I spat.

"What can I say? The job pays great," he winked and waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"You disgust me!" I replied looking away. He grabbed my chin and brought it back facing him.

"I wonder what Mr. Nightcross will do when he learns that he got the wrong girl," He mused.

"You wouldn't!" I snarled.

"And why not?" he asked genuinely curious.

"Because this is between us. You may be horrible but you're organized. You don't let people join an argument were they don't belong" I stated stubbornly. It was true.

He sighed. He looked... sad. "I don't want to ruin your life-"

"Well, then keep up the great work-"

He groaned and ran a hand over his face. "Maybe if you had been a better girlfriend...."

"Maybe what?" I asked angrily.

"Nothing. Never mind," he grunted. He got up and headed to the door.

"No! I want to know how I could have been a better girlfriend. Should I have been rude instead of caring? Should I have loved you less?" I screeched as tears streamed down my face. He just kept walking. The door slammed with a loud bang cutting off the end of my question.

I just hung my head letting the tears drip off. How could I have let myself fall for him?

Suddenly the door slammed open. My head jerked up. But it wasn't Heath. Before me stood a tall, tan skinned man, who look about late forties. I knew who he was the moment I saw him.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mr. Nightcross. The resemblance of you and your son is uncanny." I didn't bother using my shoulder to wipe off tears. I used every ounce of anger in my body to give him the meanest glare I could muster.

He shook his head. "You know, you'd be prettier if you didn't cry and give people mean glares," he scolded like a pageant mom. "So, you're my son's girlfriend?"

"Yeah got a problem, old man?" I asked suddenly filled with fake bravery.

"Well, it just I thought my son had better taste. I mean your pretty, but... I just- you know what it doesn't matter. I'm just here to make sure you look fine, before we sell you."

I spat on him. "I can't believe you can stand here without a care in the world even if your ruining thousands of lives."

"Here's how this works-

You will be seen by my customers.

Then, if you are chosen, we will ship you to them. The rest of your life is determined my your owner. Tomorrow we will move you into a viewing room. Be ready."

With that, he walked out the door slamming it shut. I heard it lock behind him trapping me inside. Silent tears streamed down my face. I curled into a ball and tried to get sleep. I tried to imagine I was back home. It worked for the most part. Except for the slight ache in my heart reminding me I was lost for good.