Chapter 1 Wake Up Call

I awoke with a sudden jerk of my body. I had another nightmare and was now on the floor of my unlit bedroom.

My sister Ramona came bursting in my room and said “Grace, we must leave now. Put your clothes and shoes on. There is no time to waste. Meet me outside in five minutes. Get your sister as well.” I sat on the floor startled and afraid. It took me a moment to process what she had said. I let her words seep into my thoughts and I shot up from the floor and tore open my closet door. The electricity had been out for well over two and a half hours now, making everything ten times more difficult then it needed to be.

I threw on a pair of my favorite running shoes, knowing that the journey ahead was not going to be a short one. As soon as I was dressed I ran down stairs and out through my front door.

"I thought I told you to go get Kelsey!" "Oh right, I’m so sorry, I’ll uhh go get her now." "Hurry!"  Ramona shouted as I ran back inside. "Kelsey?!" I yelled. I went up to her room to see her sound asleep. "Kelsey! What are you doing!? We have to leave!" I started to shake her body. "What!?" she said still half asleep. " Get up!" I said that as I ran to her closet. "Mom and dad said that we need to get to the base ASAP so here" I flung a pair of her worn out shoes at her. "Ow!" she said finally fully awake. "You need to get your butt out of bed!" " It’s eleven o'clock at night Grace" " Yeah! And we are wasting time, so get up!" "Okay, okay! I’m up!" I got out a pair of socks for her and walked out of the room.

I went back outside to wait for her. " Where is she?" Romana said, "Inside, she’s getting shoes on." I finished saying as Kelsey walked out the door "Lets go" Romana said to us.